SIXTEEN

JACOB:

Three days in Francis City. Three days away from home. Three days searching for a job and a place to stay. And also, three days of Sarah locked up in the bathroom.

I had decided to let Sarah have her way; to stay in Francis City. She was right, we couldn't live our entire lives in fear of Antonio. And Francis city really was a beautiful city.

So I had spent the past three days searching for a job, one that could sustain us for a while. The trouble with the city is that it's rather expensive to live in. I therefore needed a reasonable job, which would be hard to find considering my little skills and education. I landed three jobs; one was being a porter in a large supermarket in the middle of town, another was being a Christmas randier and the one that I decided to accept was being a waiter.

The restaurant was a new one and they were looking for cheap labour. I somehow aced the interview even though I knew very little of being a waiter. Okay, it wasn't really what you'd call 'an interview'. The pay was fifty dollars a day. Not much but it would keep us going.

Next I had to find a house. I found one in a simple small estate about three miles away from where I would be working. It was a small two bedroom house, just perfect for Sarah and I. The bathroom wasn't so big, which I knew Sarah would be unhappy with, but I guess it would save me in a way because this way she wouldn't lock herself in very often.

House rent was three hundred and fifty dollars a month. This was actually quite cheap, but for the fact that the house was completely void of furniture, except for a small wardrobe in one of the bedrooms. After I cleared the house rent for the month (December), I bought two beds and two mattresses plus some beddings. I also bought some curtains and a fuzzy carpet, cause it was really cold.

I was tempted to buy an air conditioner but it being too expensive, I decided it could wait. Finally, I bought a big old couch and a small table plus some other simple basic utilities. I inspected the house for the final time making sure everything was in order. It was perfect; ready for Sarah.

By the time I was done with the house it was already past seven. Traffic jam was at it's climax so it took me a good fourty five minutes to get to the lodge. When I entered the room I was surprised to find the bathroom open. Sarah was sitting on the bed eating some food I'd left just in case she got out and felt hungry.

Immediately she saw me she shot up and made for the bathroom. I had already anticipated this so I blocked her path.

"Get out of my way!" she demanded banging at my chest.

I threw my arms around her and held her till she got worn out. When she had finally given up her efforts to break free of me, I released her. She was crying now. I held her by her shoulders and looked her in her sad adorable eyes. I knew what she wanted. I had known all along. I just wasn't sure of myself. I still wasn't sure...

But I had to say it to keep her happy for the time being, and so I did: "I love you too Sarah".

★★★★★

SARAH:

A two bedroom house? Really? Shouldn't people in love sleep in the same bedroom; in the same bed? Once again I began to doubt if Jacob really loved me. Maybe he had told me he did just for his own selfish interests.

"Anything wrong?" he asked seeing the depression on my face.

I shook my head. "I just need to use the bathroom."

"Oh no... I can see where this is going. Sarah, I know you're planning to lock yourself in there but it would be better if you just told me what was wrong instead."

I looked at him. He looked desperate. But he didn't really need to be. Actually I did just wanna use the bathroom, briefly. But I decided to take advantage of the situation. It was time to prove if he really loved me.

I walked up to him and asked; "do you really wanna know what the problem is?"

"Of course Sarah."

"Jacob Stewart, do you love me?"

He turned away sharply and groaned in frustration. "Sarah, we've just been through this. What will it take to..."

"Just say it again" I interrupted him.

"Why should I? What difference will it make?" He now had his back to me.

I went round him so that we were face to face again. "Say it again" I whispered.

He sighed. "I love you Sarah.... okay? Are you happy now. Are you..."

I didn't let him finish. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him deeply. He kissed me back, but I could tell his kiss was half hearted. I pressed my body against his and slowly pushed him back until he fell on the bed, me on top of him. We hadn't broken the kiss yet and we were both out of breath.

We parted lips briefly and I quickly unbuttoned my blouse. I kissed him again but this time he didn't kiss back. I felt rejected. I felt betrayed.

"I thought you loved me..." I said trying not to cry. He was silent. I continued, "you said you love me...."

A tear escaped my eye. He wiped it off with his thumb then gently lifted me off him. And that's when he turned all my fears to a reality.

"Sarah yes, I do love you. I always have and I always will. But not this way..." He paused to let it sink in then continued; "Sarah, you are like a sister to me. And so I love you the way a brother would love his sister" he concluded.

What!? I didn't want his brotherly love. I didn't need it. I felt heart broken. I could barely hold myself together. I couldn't even look at him anymore. Couldn't he have told me this before we left Freywood?

I did what I always do when I'm broken. I got up, went to the bathroom, locked myself in and cried, and cried, and cried...

★★★★★