Chapter Seven

Emi had never realized it before, but there was a difference between being alone when you're used to being alone, and being alone when you're used to being around someone. A huge difference. She felt sadder than ever before, and often felt jealous of the people who walked past her with such bright smiles. They were with someone and with whoever that was, they were happy.

Another thing she noticed is that she often found herself looking for Sasuke. She would see someone who looked like him, and she would grow excited, then she would realize it wasn't him, and grow sad.

"Emi, is something bothering you?" her father asked from his bed as she sat beside him.

She knew that she wasn't really supposed to be so close to him because of his illness, but she was so lonely... She just put on a mask and hoped it would be enough to protect her.

"No... It's nothing, Father..." she mumbled.

"Are you sure?" he asked, then coughed.

"Yes..." She put on the best smile she could muster at the moment, though she knew that it would look forced. She wanted to be happy for her father, and show him a genuine smile, but she just couldn't.

For a little while it was quiet between them. She just sat beside his bed, and watched as his chest slowly rose and fell.

"Father?" she asked hesitantly. He coughed again.

"Yes?" he asked.

"How much longer, do you think?"

She was hesitant to even ask, but she did want to know. The thought of losing him scared her more than anything else, but she wanted to brace herself for when the time came. She wanted to be ready, so that the last thing he would see was her smile.

"Not long, but I'll try to hang on with you as long as I can. Now, run along. I don't want you getting sick too," he said, and she nodded, standing up.

"I love you, Father," she said, and walked out of the room.

"I love you too..." he whispered, then closed his eyes.

Emi walked outside and went to the spot where she normally waited for Sasuke. She'd forgotten how long it's been since she last saw him. It couldn't have been more than a week, but she didn't really pay attention to the number of days. She just knew like it felt like an eternity even though it was really not that long.

She scanned the crowd as she always did, not really expecting to see anyone she recognized. She had looked and looked and the days before and hadn't seen anyone she'd been hoping to see. And for a while, there was still no sign of the people she was looking for. She was considering just going back home for the day.

She smiled brightly when she suddenly saw a familiar blond boy walking through the crowd. She knew it was him. No one in town looked like Naruto, so she could always spot him easily.

"Naruto!" She called out, waving at him. He blinked, but smiled when he looked over at her.

"Oh, hey, Emi," he said.

Her heart was soaring. Naruto was on the same team as Sasuke, so that meant they went on the mission together. If Naruto was back, then Sasuke had to be back too.

"Did Sasuke give you guys the presents?" she asked, and Naruto nodded.

"That instant ramen was really good!" he said happily, patting his stomach.

"Um, by any chance, have you seen..." She trailed off as Naruto frowned at something in the distance.

"What is it?" she asked.