Chapter Four

"Sasuke, please?" Emi pouted.

"No," Sasuke said.

"But I want to get closer to everyone!" she said.

"How is going out to eat with everyone going to bring you closer?" he asked.

"Spending time together!" Emi said.

"We're busy anyway. We have another important mission tomorrow," Sasuke said. She rolled her eyes.

"Oh yeah. Because another cat is so important!" Emi sighed.

"It's not a cat," he said. She groaned.

"Fine. So you're not coming tomorrow." He nodded.

"I'm not sure how long."

Not sure how long? A part of Emi seemed to fill with dread. She was so used to seeing him often. What would she do if he was gone for days, or even weeks? She knew that she should've expected it, that they couldn't always be together, but the thought still hurt her. Not only that, but once they got older, Sasuke would only get more missions. Eventually he'd have no time for her, and the thought was like a dagger in her heart.

She bit her lip, grabbing his hand as she tried to push her negative thoughts away.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"I'm going to give you some extra pieces for your trip. And some stuff to give to the others." Sasuke looked down at their connected hands. He made no move to pull away, just letting her drag him around.

"You're so annoying..." he said, just loud enough for her to hear.

"Yeah, and you're not the greatest person in the world either. But I still like you and you still like me. Deal with it." Sasuke was silent, simply giving her hand a soft squeeze. Emi smiled.

"You love me, Sasuke. Admit it." The dark haired boy scoffed.

"No," he said, rolling his eyes.

"Oh that's right! You love Naruto! Because he was your first kiss!" His grip tightened on her hand, and he yanked her closer to him. She let out a surprised yelp, but quickly tried to regain her composure.

"Who told you that?" He hissed, glaring at her. She simply smirked in response, then leaned in to kiss his cheek. He took a few steps back, eyes wide and his fingers brushing over the spot where she kissed him. Emi grinned.

"I made the great Sasuke Uchiha surprised! I feel like a great hero!" He glared at her again, but she just winked and began to walk again.

It always upset Emi when Sasuke left her. She knew no one besides the boy and his team. So when he left her all alone, she would tease him as revenge. And Sasuke was surprisingly easy to tease. All you had to do was surprise him. Simple things like holding his hand were things that he wasn't used to. And he usually didn't retaliate.

Until now, that is.

"Emi," he said, and she stopped, looking over her shoulder at him.

"Yes?" she asked. He gently tugged on her hand, signaling for her to come closer. She stepped forward a bit, looking at him through narrowed eyes. He usually didn't say her name, usually calling her stupid instead.

Sasuke took a few steps closer, then glared at Emi, squeezing her hand hard, almost to the point of feeling pain.

"Never mention that time ever again. Or that loser for that matter. I'm not even friends with that dork, got it?" She nodded weakly, and he loosened his grip.

"And next time..." He placed his hand on her shoulder. She tried hard not to flinch.

"Don't mock me," he said. He squeezed her shoulder lightly. Emi smiled, placing her own hand over his.