Chapter Five

"Sasuke! Come here please!" Emi called out from the kitchen. Sasuke glanced at her father one last time before turning away, and placing the note at the foot of his bed.

"Thank you, Sasuke," the man whispered. He nodded and left the room. Emi ran over to him with a basket in her arms.

"Okay! So, I have a cup of instant ramen for Naruto, a bracelet for Sakura, and a book for Kakashi."

"And for you," she pulled out a whole bag full of bread."Tomato bread!" He rolled his eyes.  She smiled.

"The truth is, I don't really know much about the others. Just you and Naruto." She shuffled awkwardly a bit as he took the basket and the bag.

"Uh, Sasuke..." He looked at her as she scratched the back of her head sheepishly.

"What?" he asked. She blushed suddenly, and looked away.

"Nothing! It's not important..." He shrugged, wondering if he would ever get sick of her food. He didn't think so. It was very good.

Perhaps he would get sick of her... Probably not. She was annoying, but not to the point where he had to snap at her, like Sakura. And definitely not to the point where he wanted to punch her in the face, like with Naruto.

Yes. He supposed he could call her a friend. He just hoped she wouldn't get in his way later on. That would be annoying.

"Thank you..." he said, and Emi narrowed her eyes. She began walking circles around him, frowning.

"What?" he asked.

"Just making sure you're you. Normally, you're not nice enough to actually thank me or do polite things like that. It's not the Sasuke Uchiha way to act nice."

Maybe she was annoying enough to make him want to punch her in the face.

"You don't even know me," he said. She sighed.

"I guess not, but I still li... care about you..." He frowned, but just sighed.

Emi was mentally freaking out. She almost told Sasuke she liked him. He was just her friend nothing more. She didn't like him. Sure, sometimes when he was around, her heart would skip a beat. Plus, she was always really happy when he was around and was sad when he was gone. She also thought that he was really good-looking, and was generally just comforted by his presence, but that didn't mean that she liked him. Right? Right?!

"Payment now!" she exclaimed, trying to distract herself. He frowned.

"Can't I just get it free?" he asked.

Didn't she tell him they were supposed to be gifts? People normally didn't have to pay when they received a gift.

Sasuke was pretty sure he'd never understand the annoying girl.

"Nope!" she said, then grabbed his hand.

"We're going to take a walk together." He sighed.

"Fine," he said. He followed her to a small path behind her house. He frowned, looking at dead flowers scattered around the sides of the path, but didn't comment on it.

"Sasuke, how do you do it?" she asked softly.

"What?" he asked.

"Your entire clan was wiped out right? How can you stand it? And not only that, but you act like a pretty emotionless person on the outside..." He scowled.

"Because there's still one thing I have to do... Someone I have to destroy..." His hand, still gripping hers, tightened to the point that she felt pain, but she did nothing. She would not interrupt Sasuke now. He had to let it out, and that was fine.