Did ancient aliens help humans?

Many people have watched or are watching the Ancient Aliens TV series on The History Channel. This series has become very popular, and the premise of it is that aliens visited Earth in ancient times and were instrumental in helping ancient cultures advance. The show presents all sorts of evidence that UFO's have visited Earth many times and that these aliens are responsible for helping build the pyramids. There are so many angles to this idea it would require a entire book to describe all of them.

Most of this series follows the teaching of Erich von Däniken, author of 'The Chariots of the Gods'. In fact, this book, published in 1968, is responsible for the popularity of the idea that extraterrestrials influenced early human culture. The proof that is proposed in the book relies on ancient carvings, inscriptions, documents and sightings that appear to suggest UFO and alien visitations. The Chariots of the Gods refers to alien astronauts coming to Earth in UFO's. This show has come under heavy criticism for promoting far-fetched ideas laced with conspiratorial theories that the governments around the world and the US government in particular have covered up the evidence that we've been visited by aliens in the past and are being visited currently.

Some of the ideas proposed claim that ancient aliens are or have done the following: exterminated the dinosaurs; acted as gods to ancient cultures; given ancient peoples technology and advanced knowledge such as lasers; gave the Nazis superior technology, including jet fighters, ballistic missiles, and stealth technology; helped the Egyptians build the great pyramids using anti-gravity devices; contacted Moses and Joan of Arc to inspire them; manipulated human genetics to better mankind; helped the ancient peoples of Mexico build temples and pyramids; infected humans with pathogens such as Spanish flu, and the plague; gave the ancient Mayans math and timekeeping skills; were involved in the Da Vinci Conspiracy in which Da Vinci was inspired by aliens; and many more crazy ideas.

The question to ask is: is any of this true? That's a good question because none of the evidence given for these ideas is verifiable. Most of it is based on biased opinion on various symbols, ancient documents, carvings and weird customs and observations of ancient civilizations. I think that the more ridiculous interpretations of the Bible are laughable. These proponents of ancient aliens see UFO's in classical paintings and ancient manuscripts. First of all, the ancients did believe in gods and they gave them out worldly appearances and showed them flying around the sky in strange devices. What these things were is open to speculation but no proof of aliens visiting Earth.

On the other hand, it is possible that aliens did come to Earth in ancient times. That's a possibility, but what they did when they came here is unknown. It could be that Greys, the most notable alien species, was and is responsible for alien abductions. There is no reason to debunk this idea without good evidence. The fact that many people have seen and described these Greys suggests that they may be real. Some of these abducted people claimed that aliens probed their anus. Why would aliens travel all those distances to put a probe someone's anus? Who knows?

There are many other mysteries associated with alien visitation. One such was the Miracle of the Sun, which occurred on October 13, 1917 near Fatima, Portugal when a lot people reported a sun-like spinning disc that zig-zagged around the sky. It also reportedly deposited a lot of angel hair over the ground.

Another is Animal Mutilation in which cattle are surgically mutilated by supposed aliens who remove their organs and drain their blood. These incidents have been reported all over the world and many of them are accompanied by UFO sightings.

Then there is the Solway Fifth Spaceman. This is in reference to a photo taken by Jim Templeton on May 23, 1964. He was photographing his daughter on Burgh Marsh overlooking the Solway Fifth in Cumbria, England. The photograph shows what appears to be an astronaut behind his daughter. Analysis of the photo indicated that it was genuine.

So where does it leave us? The answer is that we just don't know. Perhaps more definitive evidence will be discovered.

Thanks for reading.