Chapter Twelve

We followed the mysterious Ian into the woods, the farther we got the more the mist thickened. We had reached a trap door hidden by leaves, the only way anyone could have noticed the trap door was if they knew it was there. We climbed down the ladder after Ian and was instantly plunged into darkness. Ian searched with his hands along the wall until he found a hole in the wall and pulled out matches and a candle.

      He lit the candle and we were blinded by the light. When my vision came back i looked around me at what i could see in the candle light, the walls were made of a gray brick, and the ground we walked on was dirt, the space was enormous. We walked farther into the darkness and the candle light revealed a room that held three torches along the wall, the room had only a couch and two wooden rocking chairs in it. Ian lit the torches and we all sat down. Leroy and Blaze sat on the couch again, they both seemed like they were inseparable. I sat in one of the rocking chairs, Ian chose to stand.

"So explain yourself, Ian," i said. We all stared at Ian.

“Ancient powers have awoken in Shadow City, Benjamin plans to rid the world of all humans, he then plans to kill everyone with the Sight."

"Who are the ones with the sight?" Blaze asked.

"He means the gifted people," i said. “Continue, please.”

“he wishes to take over the world after everyone is gone. He will take a queen and one other. He plans to create a world in which he is king.”

“so who does he want to take as queen?” Blaze asked. Leroy's arms went tight around her waist; he pulled her close to him.

“definitely not you,” Leroy whispered. Blaze’s face grew a dark red and rested her body against his.

“i would rather die than be subject to his evil doings.”

“she knows who he will take,” Ian said staring straight at me.

I had not told them my dream about Benjamin.

“i had a dream, Benjamin came to me,” I said. Blaze and Leroy looked at me as though I was a traitor.

“why did you not tell us this before?” Leroy asked.

“what did he say to you, who did he choose?” Blaze asked.

“he chose me, he wants me to be the queen of the new world. I will not be his queen,” I said.

“what other dreams have you had?” Ian asked.

“Just of Lyle. He is in trouble.” I had forgotten about him. With all the trouble I have ran into since coming back to Shadow City, I had forgotten my first reason for coming back. “He was not in Shadow City, I am sure of it. He would have come to me by now.”

“he is the other one,” Ian said.

“ what would he want with Lyle?” Leroy asked Ian.

“ Lyle will be used as an anchor. Benjamin will torture but not kill Lyle, so that Sarah will always stay with him. It will give her a reason not to betray him. He knows what Lyle means to you,” Ian said.

“Lyle does not mean anything to me. he is just a person that appears in my dreams, a friend,” I said. I was afraid of Benjamin, any person in their right mind would be, but i didn’t care as much about myself when Ian said that Benjamin would take Lyle. It physically hurt me to think of Lyle hurt any worse than he is at the moment.

Ian laughed. “ do you not feel the pull that Lyle has on your heart?”

I blushed. “ perhaps I do, but nothing has ever happened between us, as far as I know he is an illusion my mind has created to distract me from reality. We have never met.”

“the bond has always been there, in the shadows,” Ian said.

“ what are we going to do?” Blaze asked with defeat in her voice.

“i do not know much about Benjamin, but what I do know is he won't stop until he has accomplished what he came here for, or until he is dead,” Ian said.

“what about the elders? They're asleep right now, but we can wake them. They can help us.”

“the elders will not wake up, the mist keeps them asleep, and the mist won’t go away until Benjamin is gone.”

“then what do we do about Benjamin, how do we get rid of him?” Leroy asked.

“i do not know,” Ian said. They all started talking about different things to one another, I had drifted off to sleep.

       I was sitting at the bottom of the ocean, fish swam around me in a circle. I kicked off the wet slimy sand floor, and swam to the surface. The first thing I noticed was that the sky was bright pink, there was no sun in this sky, also there was no stars like the sky in Shadow City. I whispered to the water, I made it push my feet up so that I stood on top of the water. The water pushed me to the shore, and there, I found Lyle in chains.

“Sarah,” he whispered. I ran to him and hugged him tightly

“where are you, Lyle? We will come rescue you.”

“there is a huge castle in the middle of Shadow City's woods, you will run into wards stronger then any wards you have ever seen, stronger then the wards that protect our city.”

“we can't defeat him Lyle, we aren't strong enough.” a dragon dropped down from the sky and circled us. The dragon stared at me with emerald eyes, his eyes whispered to me. Climb atop my back, Sarah.

“Lyle I will come for you,” I said before I jumped on top of the dragon's back and held onto his neck tightly.

       The dragon flew into the air, we were flying high above the ocean. He was flying so fast that everything below us was a blur, I couldn't see anything. We kept flying higher and higher into the sky. I thought it would never end. We finally came to an island, the island was floating in the air. Levitated by magic , I assumed. He landed next to a big oak tree, the tree must have been thousands and thousands of years old, it towered high up into the sky, so high I could not see the tip of the tree. Power emanated from within the bark of the tree.

     I jumped off his back and sat cross-legged on the ground. His body circled me, once again I was staring into his eyes.

“who are you?” I asked.

His answer did not come from his mouth, nor his eyes, I heard his answer in my mind.

“my name is Isaiah, ever since I was killed I have lived on this land, I was reborn into this dragon, I have lived centuries on this island, watching, observing the humans.”

“where are we exactly?”

“this place you were thrown into is Dreamland, everyone falls asleep and before they start to dream they come here, but you are different. When you fall asleep you do not leave Dreamland, your dreams take place here. As does Lyle's,” he said. “ you are probably wondering why the sky does not look the same as it usually does. That is because this is the first time I have ever flew off this land. You are the first to meet me, not even the dream traveler has met me.”

“what makes me so special? I don't understand,” I threw my hands up in the air. I wanted to scream to the whole world that I was just like any normal gifted person.

“you aren't though, you are not normal,” he said.

“how did you-”

he cut me off and said, “ I can read your thoughts Sarah. You think all this is useless, that we can't defeat Benjamin, but you are wrong Sarah Moth.”

“but it-”

“you are different Sarah, you do not only have the gift to be invisible and control water but you have many more gifts that even I do not know about.”

“ i am not as strong as the man who last defeated Benjamin. I could never kill him alone. Even with help he would still k-”

“i defeated him and I am not even half as strong as you are !”