Chapter One

I felt a push at my back and saw the door fly open. I was tossed to the side like an empty water bottle. Thrown toward the curb, cars racing by like flashes of lightning, surrounding me like air, there is no escape, it’s everywhere, suffocating me with such loneliness. I feel the wind blowing my hair off my shoulders. Shivers run down my spine as I relate the cars passing with demons, that are here to trap me, then take me, then torture me, and kill me when they‘ve had enough entertainment.

      I’m hit by one of the demon cars with such force .My body lay on the cold pavement with blood pouring out of me. I’m staring at the little pebbles that are in different size and shape, but no bigger than a marble. My breathing slows and I fight being thrown into darkness. I groan in pain as I think to myself that saying it hurts is an understatement. I hear cars rushing past me as though my body melted into the pavement ,as though I’m simply a chameleon blending in with my surroundings so that no one will see me, yet I want to be seen, I want the world to see what the demon did to me. My crumpled body aching with pain, lying on the cold blood filled pavement, being invisible to the eyes of careless creatures. I give into the darkness so that the wait for me to be visible will be without pain.

        I awake in a room that reminds me of my room, but how did I get home? Turning from left to right I notice it isn’t my room. I jump up, trying to get untangled out of the pale red blankets, screaming and running towards the third door in this room; I open the door and find it’s a closet. I sit in the in the closet, hiding, until I hear a few knocks at the door.

"Sarah  , my name is Blaze Fire, don’t be afraid, you are in one of the rooms in Shadow Hotel , I know what you are , and I’m just like you," her voice is very convincing so I open the door, even if I didn’t understand what she meant by her being just like me. I see a girl with short red hair and freckles on her cheeks, and big hazel eyes, she looks no older than me, and I am only seventeen, she is smiling down at me, she outstretches her hand as though I’m supposed to take it, and instead I just stand up and look at her blankly.

“Whoa your eyes, they‘re glowing!” I get this a lot… I’m the weird girl with glowing green eyes.

"Blaze, where am I?” I ask ignoring her discovery.

"Well, as you probably remember you were hit by a car, no one witnessed this incident because you were invisible. You were brought here after Leroy, who is one of us, spotted you lying next to the curb," Blaze explained.

“Wait, how did he see me if I was invisible?” I wondered aloud.

“Well when you fell unconscious you became visible, and then Leroy  spotted you and brought you here and I healed you,” Blaze said cheerfully as though she was proud of the situation.

"Healed...." I said confused.

"oh, well we have a lot to go over, Sarah  you are in a city full of gifted people, my gift is to heal people, with the gift comes other abilities, for example, we all have the ability to have strength like no other human, to move things with our mind, and to transform into any animal you desire, but the one you choose to transform into your first time, will be the animal you transform into forever, I transform into a Snow Owl. We also can live for as long as we like, there is a certain spell you cast if you want to depart from the world," Blaze said. "Being you found your gift you can choose to leave your old life and never talk to your family, or anyone you ever talked to before, also we will erase their minds’ so they won’t remember you, you will live here with the rest of us and learn to control your gift, or we can take you home and erase your memory of ever having a gift, but trust me when I say that you belong here with us and you will find it better you’re here with us then out there, don‘t think that going home will take away your gift, your gift will stay with you forever, and when you discover it again we might not be there to explain it once more."

         I couldn’t seem to grasp what she was really saying, I have a gift? Other people have gifts similar to mine? Choose to live here with people I don’t know and forget my family and friends? My head ached terribly as I sat on the white sheets of the bed staring at the blankets on the ground.

     "It’s a lot to take in so I’ll just leave you to think about it ,so get some rest and I will awake you in the morning for a tour of the city," Blaze said as she walked to the door and looked back earnestly for several seconds before she shut the door quietly , leaving me with silence.

       I decided to explore this small, yet spacious room. My first discovery is the paint; it’s my favorite color and happens to be the color of my room back home, misty rose. The cherry wood floor, making the room complete, catches my attention as I search the room with my eyes, it looks exactly like the floor I chose for my room after I had my mother redecorate the attic so I could move in there and my little sister Katie could take over the room closest to my parents room. I continue searching, and find a table in the corner, on top of the table is a clear flower pot filled with my favorite flower, lily , little marbles of a shining blue rainbow, fill the bottom of the pot, a border along the wall with a pattern of flowers swirling like vines of grapes, a small window with a golden curtain and a trim at the bottom matching the border along the four walls, I run my fingers along the trim on the curtain and notice the fabric is made of velvet , I press it to my cheeks and close my eyes ,I enjoy the touch of velvet ,so soft and lovely. I turn away from the window and turn towards the second door in this room.

    I open the door and stand in the threshold of it and find that it’s a bathroom, a blue bathroom. The tile is of a wintry snow white, the paint on the four walls is navy blue. On the ground lay a simple baby blue rug, on the counter that lay along the sink lay several towels that are the exact color of the rug on the floor. The shower curtain is the lightest shade of blue in the whole entire room; it has a strip of wild flowers amongst the middle of the curtain.

     After noticing nothing interesting in the ordinary bathroom I shut the door quietly. I then walk to the door of the closet I hid in earlier, opening it I see that it’s filled with clothing, my clothing. Turning away from the closet and leaving the door wide open, I ask myself how my clothing got in the closet of this room and why this room reminds me so much of the attic room back home, I wander back to the bed and pull the soft blankets up to my chin and promise myself tomorrow I will ask these questions to Blaze. I soon fall asleep after I hear the sound of rain pouring outside the tiny window.