Chapter One - Same Frames

The soft clanging of bells rang behind me along with the frosty breeze of September air blew in as the door closed. I coughed at the musty smell of old books that lined themselves on each wall.

             The store clerk from behind the counter looked up from his laptop. He could have been a twin for the simpsons comic book man, with the overweight features and the beard on his face. It was odly comforting.

         "Can I help you miss?" boomed a suprisingly low pitched voice from the simpsons look alike. My boot caught on the door mat as i stepped forward.

          "I'm," I cleared my throat, loard knows i sounded like an elderly with leringitis.  "I'm here for well, I saw a poster and it said that the meeting was here and," he cut me off with wave of his hand and pointed towards the back through a long black curtain.

I nodded my thanks.

        I walked past rows of boxes labeled by distrebutor and years of publication. In each one it was catagorized by alphabetical order and then by issues. Comic Books.

        Then I came face to face with the black hanging material on the well worn and lean door frame. The whispers and murmurs slid though the thing material.

       My lungs drew in a breath and i pulled the curtain back, crossing the boundries of the comic shop out front and the area for the comic nerds and fan in the back.

         Five pairs of eyes suddenly drew onto me, eyebrows furrowed, everyone silencing themselves as they sized me up.

                 I froze. My eyes were glued to these new people who looked as dazed and curious as i was, I looked down at my boots instead.

               The grind of a metal chair on the tile flooring made me peak from under my glasses. A tall lanky boy/man, it was hard to say, was standing up, looking directly at me from under his glasses, which i noticed were the same big, plastic, fun nerdy frames as mine.

               "The book store is right down the street," his firm and slightly hostile voice spoke and he sat down, pikcing up his dice. The others started talking amoungst themselves also pulling out their dice. 

                "Acually I already found that, I'm looking for the dungeons and dragons group?" I hesitated, " there was sign up for memebers in the campus library."

                They all turned and stared, each mouth agape. My head dropped back to the ugly yellow floor tiles."If there's a spot open that is," I mumbled.

                 Mister tall and lanky boy/man looked up from under his shaggy hair, mocha colored hair. "Take a seat then...?" His voice trailed off, his tone still unfriendly.

                "Cora, my name is Cora. " I walked over and took the seat next to him who was head of the table and besides another guy. He was very short and small with nimble hands and a pile of physics books piled under his chair.

               The male across from me started to whisper to the player next to him then spoke directly to my face. 

                "Is this a joke?"

                My eyebrows furrowed. I got that a lot.

               "No?"

              "Have you played before?"