Chapter Four

I couldn't help but think about the girl from the plane. She was really nice. Maybe too nice..I just hope half the people I encounter are as cool as she was, maybe minus the jolly and loud part. I know Lucas would have liked her for sure. I feel tears prick in my eyes at the mention of his name. My mom must have noticed my wet eyes because she wrapped her arms around me tightly. "I miss him too honey, but don't look at this move as a bad thing you can make newer friends now," she says while looking at me like a lost child.

"I know mom thanks," I whisper while grabbing my bags from off the ground and slipping out of her embrace.

"Your father will be here soon, he had to handle some business at the hospital," You can't miss the disappointment that sweeps across her face. I guess that's what it means when you marry a doctor.

"Okay," I say as I kiss her cheek hoping to wipe some of the sadness away from her face.

"I love you Hun," she says giving me another hug.

"I love you too mom," I say while hugging back.

You might have suspected that my dads a doctor and he's the reason why we moved. He got a great offer to work at a big time hospital in L.A. He claimed they offered him the job a few years back, but I don't understand why he decided to take it now after all this time. "Honey aren't you going to come in and see your new home?" I'm broken out of my thoughts by the massive house in front me no scratch that mansion it's a mansion.

"What the hell?" I whisper in complete awe as I walk up the front steps. This place is freaking amazing. "Mom it looks like a celebrity could live here," my mouth is hanging open by this time.

"I know, maybe when you start school you could throw a party," Mom gushes. I swear she's such a teen sometimes.

"Please who's gonna come, people barely talked to me back in Rhode Island...who's gonna wanna talk to me here," I whisper looking down at my shoes.

"Sweetie don't say that we're in a whole new city with different people. They're gonna love you. Just give them a chance maybe?" she kisses my cheek and walks to the kitchen. I know she was trying to help, but i just need more time.

"Okay" I smile while looking around. I take in the interior of the place. Everything is white and gray. For some reason it makes me feel calm. I walk up the steps to see the rest of the house and it honestly makes me feel like i'm in a fairy tale. The walls are white with wooden steps that lead to a wide hallway. There has to be like eight rooms in this house. I take in the pictures of me and my family on the walls. From graduations to family vacations. Dad must've stopped by and did a little decorating of his own. That explains his man cave that's the third door to the right. Finally I find a room that was the bigger than the rest in the house plus it has it'sown bathroom. "I CALL DIBS" I yell down the hallway towards the stairs. Mom probably didn't hear me all the way up here. Oh well. I get out my spray cans and get to work on my walls. After a day like this this is exactly what I need. Art is my life, an escape.

I used to love drawing with Lucas when we were kids. I was close to my art teacher in middle school. He'd even would let us stay after school for a few hours. Art was the only thing I held onto. I shake the can to release more paint but it's empty. I turn around to get another can out of my bag and notice the box that Lucas had given me. Weird, I don't remember bringing it in. Mom must've brought it to me. I walk over to it and open it up. There's a crystal heart shaped necklace inside. I smile and hold it in the palms of my hands. I look back in the box and take in all the crumbled letters, some have poems and others have our names written on them together. I pick up a letter and read it out loud.

Dear Rachel,

If your'e reading this then you got to L.A okay. You're probably wondering how I knew you were moving. Well one night I was coming to see you and your dad was on the phone with some hospital in California saying that they wanted to hire him and that they would give him time to think about it. I know it was wrong to eavesdrop but when I found out that you were leaving it felt like my whole world had ended. The reason I wrote this letter was because I wanted to tell you why I killed myself. I know you thought that I was Mr. Popular in school, but that was only because you were around and I guess they had something against you. I told them to leave you alone and they started picking on me. Then they started throwing eggs at my house and calling me a fag and on top of that my parents were splitting up. I couldn't deal with all of it anymore. So one day when everyone was in school I hung myself. I'm sorry that I hurt you and I hope you can forgive me and understand where I was coming from, but when you move promise me you'll give your new school and city a chance. They're not all like Damon.

Your friend, Lucas

I was in complete shock. 'Lucas was bullied? ' How could I have not known that? I mean I know when he got popular we didn't talk much but why didn't he tell me? He was my best friend. I felt tears slide down my cheeks again and I quickly rubbed them away. I am not going to start crying like a little girl again. I put the letter back in the box and put it on the top shelf of my closet. I walk over to the mirror and look at the necklace. Tomorrow I start school again.