Chapter three....

Chapter three:

I heard a perfectly changed car engine roar as it made its way down the street and stopped just in front of our house. I jerked awake at the sudden noise that unexpectedly altered the peaceful quiet. I looked around in confusion noticing that I was in the living room, apparently I must have fallen asleep on the couch.

I moved dazedly towards the window by the front door while pushing my long hair out of my face. My thoughts were swimming with Kyle when he asked me out on a date tomorrow night and he even kissed me on my cheek before he left. I remembered changing into my thick gray sweat pants and a long sleeves black shirt. Then I walked down the stairs and sat on the couch.

I blinked; focusing on my surroundings, there was Mom’s silver Mazda SUV parked in her usual spot in the driveway but my step father, Stanley’s white Ford 350 work truck was nowhere to be seen. Apparently he was still gone on his construction job, he is the head construction worker over at his dad’s self-own very popular business. If Mom had not married Stanley a year after Dad was killed we would have been living in the streets because he’s well-paying job keeps everything running and more.

I noticed that my two door 1967 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500 was still sitting out by the curb. Its main color was a dark gray with twin racing black stripes going down the hood and trunk. The two windows were darkly tinted and it still shined with the perfect paint job as if it was brand new. This car belonged to my father and after he died Mom gave it to me because she couldn’t bear to drive it and she knew how much I loved that old car. I still remember all the times that I helped Dad work on keeping the old classic still in working condition.

Just as I was about to move from the front window something strange caught my attention. There was another car parked at the curb in front of the neighbors’ house across the street, however the Johnsons’ were supposed to be out of town- leaving their property unattended.

But the weird part was the car it was one that I have never seen before on this block. It was an older black car Chevy late 1960s best I could make out in the darkness, only provided with the few street lights on this lane of the older subdivision. I squinted my eyes and I could have sworn that I saw two dark figures sitting inside the Chevy, looking straight in this direction, as if they were watching my house.

I glanced down the street to see if I saw anyone else, but who is out around two o’clock in the morning? When my eyes passed over my mother’s vehicle I had completely forgotten about the mystery older black car.

“Mom’s home,” I said to myself as I moved away from the window and began making my way towards the back door, knowing that Mom would be making herself something to eat. She was a nurse on the early graveyard shift down at the ER.

“Mom,” I called as I pushed the swinging door and entered the kitchen only to find that her purse, jacket, and keys laid out on the marble bar. “Mom?”

There was a sudden thudding noise coming from the room next door. I turned to the right and pushed on the other swinging door, walking slowly into the small dark dining room, only to find it empty.

I moved further in the room confused, thinking that whatever happened to me earlier must have effected with my mind. Moonlight was streaming in through the windows providing a blue light to the large wooden dining table. The natural light caused me to see a dark spot on the dead center of the surface of the table. Then I saw something move.