Chapter two....

Chapter two:

“Evelyn?” called a male voice that I didn’t recognize.

I slowly opened my eyes to locate the new voice. I blinked to clear my blurred vision and I saw something that I wasn’t expecting. There was Kyle Edwards a couple of inches from my face. Everything was strange around me- almost in a chaos as my eye sight took in my surroundings, people leaning over staring at me. I finally understood that I was in Kyle’s arms.

“Are you okay?” he asked in his smooth deep voice.

When I went to reply my head spun a little. “Yeah I think so,” I answered slowly as I held my head with my right hand.

“She’s fine people,” yelled Ryan. I heard the relief of the crowd as they clapped and started to leave to head to the dance, apparently the game was already over with. “Okay Pen you drove today right?” he asked turning towards her.

“Yeah, why?’ she hesitated with a suspicious look about her heavily applied makeuped face.

“Can you take Tony home?”

“What about the dance?” she questioned, saying the first thing on her mind.

You know how people have filters in their minds to keep their true thoughts hidden safe, well Penny wasn’t born with that. I can clearly see what a best friend she is, even though she pretends to be that’s still heartless.

“Pen?! Are you serious?” he took a step forward at her, getting angry. “She’s your best friend and you can’t even help her out? You know what I’ll take you home myself Tony,” he added facing me again stretching out his arms to take me from Kyle.  

“I can take her,” Kyle offered. “It’s on my way anyhow.”

“Tony is that okay with you?” asked Ryan looking straight at me.

He has always looked after me like an older brother even though we were the same age. He was probably the only one I could trust in the whole school. He really stuck with me after my dad died when I was a child, helping me through that difficult time. What I wouldn’t do without my true best friend.

For some reason whatever happened to me earlier it caused my brain to freeze, I hesitated before I answered. Ryan watched me closely seeing my reaction and even Kyle glanced down, still holding me in his arms, waiting on my reply.

“Yeah Ryan that’s fine,” I finally replied. I’m glad that I didn’t drive to school today, because who knew when I would get a chance to spend some time with the art student?  

As Kyle carried me off towards the parking lot I heard Ryan yell at Penny. “I can’t believe you! All you care about is adding another link in your sex chain. You’re just a selfish poisonous bitch.”

“So what happened to you?” asked Kyle as we drove down the road. He glanced over at me, staring at me with his dark brown eyes.