Part 35: Word Spill

I’m happy to feel Jess’s familiar energy fly into my home once more, "Kirkee, my favourite reanimate, I've missed you," she says, giving me a friendly hair tussle. Mom looks alarmed, "Jess, sweetheart, don't mess his hair, I want it to look nice in case Dr Shaheed decides to visit later. And, please don't call him Kirkee, it's kind of cacky, I don't like it," says Mom, while fixing my hair.

I read a kind of hurt look on Jess's face, "Jeez – and nice to see you too Mrs Russel. I've missed you guys – no need to snipe at me, you know my ways,” she says.

"I'm not sniping Jess, just being an overly fussy and proud parent, that's all," Mom replies.

Jess's tone switches from bright to brooding, "Sure, I get that – but, something’s not right Mrs Russel, I feel talk, talk happening between you guys."

"Jess, things are great! Kirk's doing really well; he's having little flashes of insight. His Father’s gone to meet with Dr Shaheed to discuss these breakthroughs – that’s what’s going on, it’s all going good," gushes Mom.

"OK, that's all whiz. It's just, I spoke with Casey – I sense her being real guarded, like she's hiding something from me. I'm not stupid, I know when I’m being avoided," says Jess, with an open honesty in her face.

"Relax Jess. Casey's probably traumatised after what she's been through; allow her rest and recuperate. Maybe you're feeling a little left out, you know how you like to be in the middle of everything," says Mom, with a dismissive tone in her voice.

Jess shakes her head, “No! Mrs Russel – listen to me,” she hollers, causing Mom to jump.

“Calm down Jess,” says Mom.

“NO! I won’t calm down – I tussled my friend’s hair and called him an affectionate name, there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s your problem Mrs Russel – YOU’RE so freaking vain – Dr Shaheed doesn’t give a shit what Kirk looks like!”

Mom takes an in breath, “I care what my son looks like,” she says, with a quiet, defensive tone.

Jess cuts her off, “He’s not your son – he’s dead – he’s our reanimate! Kirk belongs to us  – get real woman!” booms Jess.

“Who’s us?” asks Mom, with a surprised and questioning look on her face.

Us in the know – we who have the knowledge – we who have the insight – we who can use reanimation to our advantage,” answers Jess, with fervent excitement.

There is a rising animation in Jess; I can see that it is causing Mom to become a little anxious.

Jess turns her attention toward me, “Kirk, I know you can’t lie to me. You must know where Tobes is,” she looks me in the eye and asks, “Kirk, tell me where Tobes is?” 

“I don’t know,” is my honest answer.

“Were you with him when the Doctor went on the reanimate rampage?”

“No.”

“Where were you when it happened?”

Mom jumps in, “Jess, I’d rather you left, I feel uncomfortable with you being here asking all these question – like you’re interrogating us.”

“I feel uncomfortable with the story you guys are withholding from me – and why?” shoots Jess, jabbing her finger toward Mom.

I see the discomfort fall from Mom’s face – it’s replaced with a mix of tension and anger.