Chapter 8: Brooke

"Bye." Brooke waved bye to Vinny and walked into the house. 

"Mom! I'm home!" 

"Brookie! Brookie! Look what I made!" Anna, Brooke's little sister, yells as she comes into the living room where Brooke had just walked in. She looked at the paper in her sister's hand and saw a drawing of their family. "Look! It's you and Shadow and Megan and Mom and Dad." She says pointing at them. Brooke smiled and picked up her sister, zooming her around the room like an airplane. 

"That's great bub." Brooke smiles and puts her down, going to her room, and starting up the family laptop. She searched wattpad for new fanfictions and teen fiction to read. She found yet another new story to get addicted to and started reading. 

"Brooke! Time for dinner!" Her mom yelled down the stairs. Brooke sighed and shut the laptop walking up the steps. 

"Grab a plate and get some food." Brooke's mom commanded. She grabbed a plate along with her two younger sisters and her dad. 

"Dear Lord, thank you for giving us this food. Thank you for giving us this family, and thank you for all the oppurtunties you gave us. Amen." Brooke finishes. 

"How was London?" Brooke's mom asks making small talk. 

"Amazing. We saw the Big Ben, London Eye, and shopped a bit." Brooke smiled. 

"How was meeting that boy band your in love with?" Her dad chuckles, and smirks. 

"Amazing." Brooke smiles. 

"Have you found a dress for prom yet?" Brooke's mom asks her. 

"Yes Actually." Brooke smiles. 

"Show me after dinner." Brooke's mom says, wanting to approve the dress she had chosen. 

"Okay." Brooke smiles. After devotions were finished Brooke went to get her prom dress. She picks up the peach dress with black studs criss crossing the bodice, She slips on the dress, and goes to show her mom the mid thigh length, strapless dress. 

"That's cute." Brooke's mom says looking at it. 

"Thanks. Can I get ready with Emily day of? You can still go to her house to take pictures, but we would go to get our hair done and everything together." Brooke bites her lip, and stands on her tip toes. 

"Sure. Just text me when you guys are ready, and I'll come over to take pictures." 

"OK! Thanks mom!" Brooke smiles and throws her arms around her mom. 

 "Go do your homework." She says, smiling and swatting her daughter away playfully. Brooke headed downstairs, but not to do her homework. She sat down and opened up her computer to continue reading her story. 

 Right as a major event was about to happen, her mom yells down at her to come get her laundry. 

"Remember to clean your room before Jake comes tomorrow." Her mom reminds her. 

"It'll eventually get done." Brooke assures her, but her mom doesn't look so convinced. 

"Go clean your room." Brooke moans and walks to her room, picking up the laptop that was resting on her bed. She set it on her dresser, hoping to maybe get her room done before that one guy came. She could never remember his name. Tony, right? She asked herself as she started picking up clothes and half heartedly shoving them into the hamper. 

"Brooke? Are you in there?" Shelley, Brooke's Mom, calls into the room. 

"Yes, mother, and I am cleaning like you asked me to." She rolls her eyes. 

"There's someone here to see you." Shelley said, very confused. Brooke walked out of her room to see who was here. 

"Cay? What are you doing here?" 

"DO YOU HAVE NIALL HORAN'S NUMBER?!" She screamed grabbing Brooke's shoulders and shaking them. 

"Calm the hell down! No I don't actually." Brooke says, rubbing her now sore shoulders. 

"WHY WON'T YOU PEOPLE GIVE ME HIS NUMBER?!" She starts screaming again. Brooke throws her hand over Cay's mouth as her entire family was now gathering to see what was wrong, along with a guy who Brooke had never seen before. 

"Hello. Um... Me and Cay are going to go downstairs and watch a movie." Brooke says quickly. Cay rushes after Brooke down the stairs, still talking about how she needs that boys number or else she will die. 

"I've died before." Brooke sighs. Cay rolls her eyes and looks Brooke directly in the eyes. 

"Give me the Irish god that is Niall Horan's phone number." 

"I can't. Sorry." Cay pouts and collapses on Brooke's bed. 

"Why will none of you give me his number?! I tried texting Vinny, but she said she couldn't either." 

"Well if you were famous you wouldn't want random people to have your phone number." Brooke lays down beside her. 

"You wanna see my prom dress?" Cay asks her and pulls out her phone. She pulls up the picture and shows Brooke the navy blue dress with white polka dots all over. 

"That's cute. Wanna see mine?" Brooke grabs her dress from hanging in the closet and holds it up for Cay to see. 

"That's so cute!" Cay smiles and temporarily forgets why she came over here. Brooke hears her phone ring and so does Cay's. 

"Hello?" Brooke answers. 

"Brookie?" Vinny chokes out, tears flowing down her face. 

"Vin? What's wrong?" 

"M-my m-mom." She stutters, choking back even more tears from forming. 

"What's wrong with her?" Brooke starts to panic. 

"I came home and she was unconscious on the floor."

"Did you call 911?" Brooke asks panicking. 

"Yes. They're on their way." Vinny nods, though Brooke can't see her. 

"I'll meet you at the hospital." Brooke says hanging up. "We've got to go. Vinny needs us." 

"What's wrong?" 

"Her mom. Something's wrong with her, and she needs us right now." 

"Come on then! We need to leave!" Cay says, running up the stairs. 

"Brooke, Where do you think you're going?" 

"Vinny's mom is sick. Vinny needs me." Brooke says, rushing out the door. She grabs her phone out of her pocket. 

"Emily? Are you on your way to the hospital?" 

"I'm here already. Vinny's mom isn't responding at all." Emily sounds like she was crying too. She loved Vinny's mom just like her own mother, though we hadn't seen her in a long time.

"We'll be there in a few minutes." Cay and Brooke drove to the hospital in stony silence. It felt wrong to turn on the radio or talk about anything at all. This silence was filled with awkward tension and worry. They rushed into the environment Cay hated more than anything. 

There were doctors rushing people to different rooms and people being wheeled around in wheelchairs. They rushed up to the receptionist and asked for Vinny's mom's room. 

"I'm sorry. Unless your family I can't let you in." She goes back to doing whatever she was doing which looked surprisingly similar to solitaire on the outdated computer. 

"We're family." Cay chimes in. The secretary looked at them skeptically. "We're her nieces." 

"Room 31." 

"Vinny? Is she okay?" Brooke asks looking at Vinny, sitting in the hallway. Vinny simply stood up and hugged Brooke. Emily got up and Cay and her joined in the hug. 

"Vinny, you're mom is--"