Chapter 13: Duty Calls

Lise's POV

My mouth dropped open in shock as everything around me began spinning causing me to become lightheaded. Are you freaking serious? This is supposed to be the biggest event of Tristan's life. His twenty-first birthday, the day he's announced as Alpha and here he is down on one knee pulling off the most heart-stopping surprise of my entire existence.

The contents of my stomach swirled around reminding me of an out of control cyclone and I could feel myself swaying back and forth unsteadily on my feet. Staring down at this selfless, too good to be true man on one knee in front of me...a chaotic yet serene feeling washed over me.

It's as if my heart stuttered to a stop, then re-jolted itself just when I inhaled a sharp breath. The tears that welled up in my eyes made Tristan become a blurry blob before me. My right hand instantaneously flew to cover my mouth as Tristan held onto the left, waiting patiently for an answer. The sounds of hushed murmurs of "Aww's" and "How sweet!" were heard from the crowd.

"Answer the man!" A voice that sounded an awful lot like Troy shouted from the crowd bringing me back to the present. "Yea, what're ya waiting for?" Max added cupping his hands over either side of his mouth so it echoed through the entire yard. "He's not getting any younger!" Of course this caused everyone to laugh.

Tristan gave my hand a reassuring squeeze, I guess it was his way of telling me that no matter what my answer may be, he'll still love me no matter what. The sweet gesture made my heart clench in my chest. Ultimately forcing my body and mind to come up with my final decision.

In my heart I always knew that he'd propose to me one day, I never thought it'd be this soon though. We were a few weeks shy of our three year anniversary. I guess when you know, there's no point in prolonging the inevitable. We're practically married anyway.

Allowing the tears to finally spill over felt like someone opened up the flood gates of a dam for the rush of emotions to release itself. A slight whimper escaped my lips as I nodded my head up and down eagerly, muttering a barely intelligible, "Y...y-es." I probably looked like a babbling bawling baby right now, but I didn't care.

My legs felt like total and complete jelly and before I knew it I collapsed on my knees in front of Tristan just as he finished slipping the ring onto my finger. Luckily, his strong arms caught me as my body slumped toward his. Taking my face in both his hands Tristan brought our lips together.

The kiss held nothing back as he instantly entwined our tongues, wanting to let me know just how happy my answer made him. In the background I could hear the cheers and rounds of applause by the pack, but it seemed like a faint memory.

I was completely lost in what we all know as Tristan Evans, his hand snaked around my lower back pulling me closer to him. My hands grabbed a hold of both of his biceps in an attempt to keep myself upright. With barely any strength, Tristan lifted me with one arm to a standing position.

Pulling away from the kiss, he rested his forehead against mine and smiled against my lips whispering. "I love you." The intensity of Tristan's gaze was almost hypnotizing. "I love you too." I responded leaning up to peck him once more on his soft yet rough feeling lips.

I was rushed by a screaming; crying Anya. "Oh my god! I get to be maid of honor, I can't wait!" She shrieked excitedly, pulling me into a huge hug as she hopped up and down. "Who says I wanted you as my maid of honor?" I asked with a serious expression causing Anya's rant to stop short.

She looked at me like I'd lost my mind and then smiled at me playfully. "Just try and make someone else your maid of honor." Anya threatened. "I can guarantee you I'll take anyone you choose out. Don't make me pull a Tonya Harding on them!" She spat out with a crazed expression in her eyes.