Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Jenny stared astonished as those blue eyes locked with hers. She felt the blood rushing to her cheeks, his gaze was having an effect on her and she did not now what that was. She looked away just when the clock struck midnight. She had to go her mother would be furious, she was already an hour late. She walked out of the crowd to look at the commotion. She soon found her maid sitting at a table patiently waiting for her.

“Are we leaving?” asked the maid a hint of disappointment coloring her voice. Jenny felt bad for her, they were both the same age, twenty-four, and it seemed that the maid had been enjoying being there, even if she was just looking.

“Yes, we must go I am already late and mother will be mad. Plus I still have to change.” As she walked out she saw her Yesenia and went to say goodnight. As she got closer she saw that Yesenia was not alone but the rest of them had gathered.

“Hello, I had not seen you and was wondering were you were.” said Yesenia.

“Sorry, but as you can see it is already late and I must get going.” Said Jenny to the group.

“Leaving so soon, love.” Jenny spun around to see him, standing behind her. His blue eyes showed a hint of mischief as he looked at her.

“Well, if it isn’t Stan,” said Vanessa, “I was wondering when you would come to say hello.” Vanessa didn’t sound the same talking to him as she had since Jenny had met her. For some reason that made Jenny mad.

He chuckle and gave her a bow, “well, if it isn’t Vanessa. From what I have heard you have changed immensely. I thought my sister was exaggerating but now that I see you I do have to agree.” He said looking at Vanessa’s gown, which was such a dark purple that it almost looked black.

Vanessa smiled at him but suddenly her smile vanished and she gave them all a brief goodbye and hurried off. Jenny turned to look at what had made her friend leave but all she saw was a man, he looked regal his black hair at his nape and his green eyes sparkling as he got closer to the group. Suddenly the tension within the group grew. As he approached he smiled. Suddenly all around her people vowed, and she did the same.

“Well if it isn’t the devil himself.” said Gisselle as he vowed to kiss her hand. As he rose his eyes rested on Jenny.

“Well are you not going to present me to the addition to your group?” he asked without taking his eyes of her. “I am Sebastian, Duke of Wolverstone.”

“Hello I am Jennifer daughter of the Marquee of Dearne.” She said with a smile at him. Suddenly she remembered she was going to ask something.” Where did Vanessa go, one minute she was fine and the next she just up and left.”

The mood in the group darkened. “She was here?” said Sebastian to Stan.

“Yes but I am afraid she left.” He answered.

“Running away is she well either way she will have to see me sooner or later.” Said Sebastian. “I must be going.” And without another word he left.

Jenny watched him walk away when she suddenly remembered she had to leave too. She gave them all quick goodbyes and left to find her carriage. Once she reached outside she saw that Vanessa was by a fountain in front of the manor. As she walked closer she saw that she was crying. She was about to ask what the matter was when she saw the Duke, Sebastian, walking toward Vanessa. She was not able to see what happened because at that moment her carriage came to a stop in front of her. She climbed in reluctantly and as the driver drove on she remembered she had to change before she reached home. Her maid helped her pull her hair into a bun and then she had to change back into her dress. All this in a moving carriage, she was surprised that was even possible.

The carriage came to a halt and suddenly the door opened forcefully. There stood her father his anger radiating off him. “Where were you?” he spat.

“I went to Gisselle’s ball; I thought mother had told you.” She said meekly.

“She did but I warned her that you were to be home before I got here.” he said.

“I am sorry father, I did not mean to but the Duke of Wolverstone came when I was just leaving and it would look rude if I were to leave just when he got here.” She explained and hoped her father would calm down.

“Oh, well then that is different. The Duke is supposed to come here tomorrow and talk some things over with me so you did a good job in not leaving.” Said her father, his anger fading. He took her hand and led her inside to were her mother was sitting.

“Well look who it is?” said her mother anger in her voice.

“Darling, she told me why she was so late.” Said her father,”the Duke came as she was to leave.” said her father.

“Well I guess you are not so worthless after all you are making this family look good.” said her mother with a sneer. “Go to your room and rest.”

“Yes mother, Goodnight.” She went and hugged her parents before going up to her room to dream of the wonderful night she had just had