chapter 1

Chapter 1

            “Gisselle, you should really let Amanda carry that” said Lady Vanessa daughter of the Marquess of Atwood. At that moment there was a huge crash of breaking teacups.

Lady Vanessa sighed and shook her head. “I told you, now Amanda has more work. You should really stop trying to help people, you usually make it worse.”

“Lady Vanessa, don’t be like that to Lady Gisselle, she was only trying to help.” Amanda said as she bent down to pick up the broken china. “My lady, I don’t need any help.” Gisselle had started to kneel down.

In the background you could hear the laughter of Lady Jennifer the daughter of Marquess of Dearne. “You are always fighting about something.” said Jennifer when she had finally gotten enough breath to speak.

“We were not fighting I was just saying the truth. Whenever she tries to help something bad always happens.” said Vanessa while looking at the flustered Gisselle still trying to help pick up pieces of china. “I honestly don’t know how you can deal with her everyday and not get frustrated Amanda.”

“You know we have been together since we were children. I have even known you since you were a child Vanessa. Since before you became so cold and knew when to be nice to people.” said Amanda.

“People change when bad things happen to them” said Vanessa as she rose and looked out of the window.

There was a knock at the door and all four of them immediately stood up and looked at the door. “Come in” said Gisselle. The door opened and in came Yesenia the daughter of the Viscount of Torrington. “Hello ladies” she said taking a seat next to Jennifer on the chaise. “What have been talking about?”

“Nothing just about how Vanessa used to actually be a nice person.” Said Jennifer “no offense to but I cannot imagine you actually being a nice person. Since I met you, you have been the same. You show no emotions and when someone shows emotions for you it upsets you. Why are you like that?”

They all turned to look at Vanessa and waited, “I was born like this, and I must go. Please forgive me I have important matters to attend to.” she got up and left.

“Did I do something wrong?” asked Jennifer. All three others looked at each other, but it was Yesenia that answered, “Well, the story cannot be told by us. If you really want to know you will have to wait and see if she ever tells you.”

    “I do not know why she has not told me though; we have known each other for almost five years. She really has to open up and have fun.” said Jennifer while getting up and going to the mirror.

“Coming from the girl that cannot go out until she is married, you should be the one going out and having fun.” said Gisselle.

“You know how my family is, I am lucky to even be here without my mother. Sometimes I feel that our religion gets in the way. I can’t go out at all and when I do I have to dress like a married woman.” said Jennifer pointing at her clothes.

“Sometimes I think you’re family really does exaggera-”Gisselle was not able to finish her sentence when the door burst open.

“Ladies;” Charles, Gisselle’s brother, gave them a curt nod, “I need you to leave my home.”

“What?”said Gisselle anger staining her words, “they are my guests and they leave when I say they do. You might be my brother but you should be more respectful.”

“No we shall leave, god afternoon to you Charles, Gisselle.” said Yesenia getting a hold of Jennifer and steering her to the door.

“No, like I said you are my guests and you are leaving when I say you can.” said Gisselle while turning to face her brother, “this is my home too and I will be glad if you would respect my wishes.”

“Gisselle this is a family matter of grave importance please listen to me.” Charles looked at Yesenia.

Yesenia must have seen something in his eyes and with a nervous tremor turned to leave, “we really must be leaving know.” She got Jennifer’s hand and steered her toward the door and they left before Gisselle could say anything else.

“How could you do that Charles when you bring your friends I don’t interrupt you do I.” She turned to leave; Charles grabbed her arm, “wait.” He said

“What is it?” Gisselle asked without turning to face him.

“I do apologize for being so harsh with your friends. He’s back Gisselle.” he said in a low voice.

“What, he can’t be?”excitement flooded her voice. She smiled at Charles “when did he get in?”

“He just got here he wants to see you. Now let us go and not keep him waiting any longer.” Together they left the room and slowly made their way down to the family room.