Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Whilst writing I drifted off to sleep. Once I woke, I was informed that we had reached Alpha Neon XII and would be landing any minute now. Kevin, Aaron and I looked out the windows, eager for a glimpse of the planet that was supposed to be brimming with awesome technology, as I’d been told. So, actually seeing it was a surprise.

Most of it was covered by greenery, and that was all wonderful, but I had imagined a metal world with skyscrapers at every turn and, in general, a WALL-E kind of world, where everything happened at a wave of one’s hand. Turns out I was completely off the mark.

Everywhere you look -nature. I had just assumed that Mother Nature was a positive result of that failed experiment, but the X-humans had managed to replicate that part perfectly. Blue lakes, tall trees, springy grass, a light pink sky (it was already evening or whatever they called it here, but I'm gonna be saying everything in Earth terms) and tall snow-covered mountains. There was a general air of happiness, or maybe it was just the effect of the sweet-smelling flowers that you could see and smell everywhere, now that the windows were open. The air was fresh and brisk.

Regular sized and regular looking people were walking out of the buildings area, farming or playing with their families in the park. Well, regular sized until I realized that we were still about a hundred meters away from land, which made them pretty huge. I noticed most of the people were staring up at the sky in confusion.

 Binstrome noticed that we were watching those people with interest and said, “As I told you before, one day on G’ Zox is 71 earth years, but for your benefit, Mr. Crobis reprogrammed the conditions so that days pass according to Earth time. The people haven’t received the memo yet. Soon, the X-humans will receive orders to shrink into regular human size. You should be thankful that we are giving you so much importance."

“Oh. Binstrome-“I began.

“That’s Mr. Binstrome to you.”

“Fine, Mr. Binstrome,” I continued, trying not to roll my eyes, “we have the Sun for light, what do you guys do? Electricity 24/7?”

“You are aware that your Sun is merely a star, right? Similarly, we have the star Helmos for our light. And no, we don’t depend on electricity as you do. Have you ever imagined if all the power in the world simultaneously went out, never to come back? What would you do then? We have more efficient methods. We are getting late, come.”

The only strange thing was a huge tower in the middle (well, whatever the middle on the surface of a sphere is) which I named the control tower, because whoever was inside, was clearly in charge.

Looking at the side of the planet, I realized that it was slowly expanding and the entire structure on the surface was rebuilding itself on the newly emerging land. Apparently, they were still making land. When I asked Binstrome about it, he told me that several million years ago they had run out of land, so a conference was called to deal with it. They could conquer other planets, of course, but it wouldn’t be the same. Boroda came up with the idea- They dug deep into the planet’s core and placed a balloon made of super-strong material there. It was continuously being pumped with air and it caused the land around it to expand.

Okay, these people were insane, but then again, all the brilliant ones are. We were going on to the top floor where we would meet those other 2 siblings, and then be introduced to Boroda and Crobis.

We landed (or parked?) at the pad on top of the tower. Going down one flight of stairs, we entered a room like the kind in an office building, just a lot bigger. Asleep on the plush couches were two kids. Binstrome snapped his fingers and they got up groggily. I didn’t really pay much attention to them; I was looking around the room where creatures that I assumed were Hologons walked in and out. The ceiling was incredibly high, making it easy for the X-humans who were working there to go about their business.

No one paid us the slightest attention.

“I have to go meet with Boroda and Mr. Crobis. Acquaint yourself with these two; the fate of the universe is now in the hands of you five,” Binstrome told us and with that happy thought, went into an adjoined room, shutting the door behind him.

Hope you liked it!