Chapter 17 (Part 2)

Maya

                I figured it would take me an hour to get back to the warehouse by the time I hung up, so I started walking as soon as I figured out just where I was. Luckily for me I hadn’t gone too far when I was running, so I managed to cut the hour time down to thirty-five minutes, coming up on the road side of the small warehouse.

                The place was nearly empty, I noted as I crept around to the forest-bordered side of the building. I spotted only one man patrolling, which seemed to be their usual way of spotting things. That wasn’t very smart, I thought, especially since they know we’re on their tail now.

                I stayed out of sight of the camera and sunk into the cover of the trees, waiting impatiently. Shane was inside, and probably Rocky, too. I wanted more than anything to burst in there and kick the crap out of whoever was inside, but that wouldn’t do. They were all trained assassins, and I was the reluctant daughter of a rival gang who was five years out of practice. I probably wouldn’t even make it past the front door.

                I hated waiting, though. Time was such a dangerous thing. Things change on a dime, in a split second, in the briefest instant. I glared at the new watch on my wrist, one I managed to lift from a lady going into the gas station before I left. I had another twelve minutes before Dad should be here with his crew.

                My stomach dropped and I felt butterflies in my stomach flutter at the thought of him. But I didn’t have time for the angst in my life. I needed to focus on the best way to get Shane, and Rocky, out of the Redfangs’ clutches, and then I’d worry about him.

                Only five more minutes passed before I decided I couldn’t wait anymore. Dad was probably right behind me. I needed to get Shane and get out before he realized I’d lied to him. Not to mention, if Dad realized that the Redfangs were holding a million-dollar rock star… it really wouldn’t be good for any of us. I made a quick, rash decision. Dad would just have to follow me.

                The building wasn’t all that big. I didn’t have time to be subtle, so I raced towards the front door instead. I shoved the glass door open and entered, taking a cautious look around. The room was empty. There was no Dawson, no Redfangs, but, most importantly, no Shane or Rocky. I stood in the room, puzzled. Maybe Dawson picked up and left? I didn’t know, but it was too dangerous to make assumptions.

                “Oh, look,” a sleek voice said, sounding amused. “The princess has returned to take home her prize.”

                I stayed perfectly still as the shadows parted to reveal three Redfangs, one of them the Japanese man I’d spoken to before. I knew I remembered him from someplace, and now I could place it: he’d been behind three, three, of my kidnappings when I was a kid. I remembered his taunting voice, his rough, calloused hands as he manhandled me through a doorway into a tiny, cramped closet. He terrified me.

                I couldn’t let him know that, though, so I stood there in the room as he approached me. “What’s wrong, Princess?” he said mockingly. “Cat got your tongue?”

                What was I supposed to say? “It’s been an hour,” slipped out, just as mockingly as he’d put it. I mentally slapped my palm to my forehead. Me and my big mouth.

                “So it has, so it has.” He leaned forward slightly, leering at me. “Unfortunately for you, Princess, we have other… orders."