Chapter 15

Nani

                “Where is Rocky Nelson?” the Fed yelled again.

                Carefully and precisely I feigned wiping spittle off my cheek and glared steadily at him. “I don’t know.”

                We’d been at it since the man had dropped us off at the police station. I’d had some experience with cops, and Feds were pretty much the same—they just had less fashion sense. The Fed’s partner stood in the back of the interrogation room, leaning against the one way mirror, arms crossed. I could tell by the tightening of her mouth that she didn’t like the way he was questioning me. Good for her.

                “We know everything, girl,” he said, standing straight up like a rocket. “It’s only a matter of time before you snap.”

                I stared at him. “That must really hurt.”

                “What?” He practically bit my head off.

                “That stick up your ass.”

                He met my smirk with a miniature temper tantrum, smashing his fist on the table. “I’d be mindful who you’re talking to, Nani Rodriguez!”

                “It’s Nah-nee.” I rolled my eyes. “And congratulations, you know how to run prints.”

                “We didn’t need your prints,” the woman said in the back. “We found blood at the warehouse that came back to your sister, Maya. It wasn’t hard to connect the dots.”

                “Then connect these dots, chica,” I said, leaning forward in my chair and folding my fingers on the table. “Why would I be with Blake and not demand money for him if I kidnapped his brother?”

                The male Fed before me gaped like a fish, mouth opening and shutting as he fought for words to say. “I didn’t think so,” I snapped. “I don’t know where Rocky is. But he and my sister and Shane are in trouble. We can help you, if you let us!”

                “Listen to her,” Blake said as he came in then.

                “Who let the rock star in the room?” the male Fed shouted.

                “Listen to me, you pompous jerk,” Blake snarled, pushing him up against the wall. “My brothers are out there and they could be hurt or dead or worse. We can lead you to the bad guy if you let us but I am not going to stand here just because some idiot FBI agent is railing on my friend.”

                The Fed glared at Blake. “I’m pretty sure assaulting an officer is a federal offense,” he said coolly.

                The female Fed shrugged and walked around him to unlock my handcuffs. “I didn’t see anything.”

                I would’ve snickered if I weren’t so riled up. The girl Fed was starting to grow on me, cop or not. Blake came over to me, concerned, and grabbed my wrists. Awkwardly I tried to shift away, but he held on, gentle but firm. Reluctantly I opened my first to reveal the bobby pin I’d hidden in my hand.

                “You tried to pick them,” he said accusingly.

                I shrugged, letting that answer his unasked question. It was a force of habit. I stopped when I realized what I’d been doing.