Periods and Men (Chapter 4)

"To allow myself be consumed by that memory is murder, so why am I so intent on killing myself?"

- River

Chapter 3

Maddox P.O.V

I walk around the supermarket dropping things into my basket as I pick a handful of lemons and drop them into the clear plastic bag. I drop the bag into my trolley.

"I mean, I can chaperone-you need two teachers you know," he explains to me as he weighs his apples sticking a sticker on the clear plastic bag "If its in three weeks you need to arrange a sponsorship or a money making scheme." he begins looking at me raising an eyebrow.

I nod, aware "I know." I tell him walking into the cereal isle he follows behind me. I drop some cocoa puffs into my trolley along with some Corn Flakes.

After spending fifteen minutes in the hot foods section arguing with Dan over what toppings to get I resign to purchasing my own and letting him eat his own sick pizza.

The queue to the only checkout open extremely long so I sigh but reluctantly stand beside my trolley Dan stands behind me. I turn around to watch Dan as he speaks to me, he stops talking and an amused look comes over his face.

He raise s an eyebrow, I turn around to see what he is looking at and my eyes widen. Despite her back being turned I immediately notice who it is, her fluffy brown hair which runs down her back forces a reaction out of me. She wears black jeans with rips on the back high-top black converses grace her feet and she wears a black leather jacket with a Grey beanie on her head. Her head bobs lightly and I assume she is listening to music. A small trolley is beside her, I ignore the contents and turn back around to Dan.

I raise an eyebrow, he grins back at me wolfishly.

I open my mouth to speak but a ring-tone cuts us off, "Hey Daddy." Rivers voice says.

I grin at Dan amused, daddy's girl is she?

"For Sure," her voice says "Yes....Cool....Really? The BMW?" her voice jumps up an octave "are you for real?.....Oh Damn...No." her voice drops "I'm driving the range...." she is silent for a few moments "OK, I promise...I love you." She hangs up.

Moments later I hear her voice again "Connor you smelly ogre you need to get my BMW back to my house right now before my dad rips your face off. No, I don't care!" she snaps. A BMW, I raise my eyebrow curiously to Dan, isn't she seventeen?

"I don't care you smelly...." she is cut off "I'm home in fifteen minutes and if my BMW isn't there watch what I do to that pretty little girlfriend of yours....yeah yeah..." she sighs.

I turn back around keeping my eyes firmly planted on River, who gets more impatient as the minutes go by. She opens the pack of pretzels from her trolley and begins to eat them glaring at the floor, Dan comes to stand beside me talking to me.

She rests her bottom against her trolley, not noticing anyone. She munches on her pretzels as she slips her black beats back onto her head. She bobs her head to the beat nobody but her can hear, she hums under her breath.

"Don't cry Dan." I mumble as he tells me about his goldfish from when he was a child, he jokingly pushes me and I grin back at him.

This seems to capture Rivers attention her cyclone green eyes still on us, her jaw freezes in its hard pursuit against her third pretzel (I am not taking count, promise).