Chapter 9

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope is a waking dream- Aristotle

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 9

                Outside a storm is brewing, the trees creak as the wind rushes through their branches. I stare out the window and watch a branch rip itself from the trunk, before it hits the ground I turn away, my body wandering through a dark room, weaving through unseen obstacles before me.

                My hand pushes a door open and then it hits me where I am. School, but why?

 Its dark, probably late evening, maybe someone wanted me meet me here, but I don’t know, this is a vision that I cannot control.

I walk down the hall of the school, my feet carrying me past the science wing of the school to the darkest part of the school, a shiver runs over my skin and I stop walking, my body turns, freezing in the spot where I’m stood as something breaths down my neck.

Turning sharply I see a shape merge with the shadows and dissipate. My eyes stare at the wall for a few moments, as if I’m waiting for it to return at any moment, it doesn’t. I frown for a moment but continue walking to the end of the corridor, my eyes sweeping the walls as I do so, as if I expect something to jump out at me again. Something to kill me even.

Behind me a door creaks, my head tilts as I sense what caused it, my movements slow and my body turns to the door. There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with the door, I don’t know what future Pippa sees about it, but I stare at it for what seems like hours until I’m satisfied that nothings coming through, as I go to turn another shadow passes along the wall and slips inside the room. My hand reaches towards the door handle, as I grasp it I notice that its cool to touch, strange almost.

My forms slowly shifts to a Bengal Tiger, as I creep into the room my claws dig into the ground and a low menacing growl emerges from my throat to warn any others nearby. A form sits in the room, the eyes staring at me as I prepare to pounce on them. I strain, trying to see what the form could be. Perhaps it is one of the creatures that I read about in the book, yet my form suggests that the creature I’m facing is dangerous, more dangerous than a Hunter.

I’m snapped out of my thoughts by my back muscles beginning to coil, my head lowers and I snarl at the form in front of me. The form lets out a short laugh “Come on then, let’s see what you’ve got, Phillipa Talabi.”

And I pounce, ready to kill whatever this creature is.

I wake up gasping and clutching my covers. My eyes scan the room for any signs of danger, I know there isn’t but something always tells me to look. I place my hand on my forehead and rub off the sweat that had formed there. That wasn’t a normal vision, none of my visions recently had been normal, god, and the last one nearly got me killed. The next now tells me I’m going to probably kill something, or be killed doing it.

“Ughh,” I fall back onto my bed and stare up at the ceiling. I just had to be born a witch, I just had to have this stupid power that tells me that I’m probably going to die in the near future. Couldn’t I just have a power like super speed, life would be so much easier then.

As its still dark outside I climb back underneath my covers and go back to sleep, my heart still beating fast from the vision. Damn witch powers.

I’d like to say I spent the day productively, maybe researching on the internet about what Isabel might be, but I can’t really lie. I really spent the whole day sleeping, after quickly skipping through the book I fell asleep and didn’t wake up until 7pm. My stomach rumbled and I winced as I realised I hadn’t eaten anything in the past day, mum and dad were out at the moment, so was Skye. Leaving just me and Luna in the house, she had spent the time when I was awake running around my bedroom floor chasing a toy mouse I brought her.

                I push my door open and walk down the stairs to the kitchen, I gaze in the fridge and pull out some bacon and egg and fried it in a frying pan.  I quickly eat it all and run back upstairs to the computer where I decide that I should actually do some research on Isabel since I’ll be meeting her soon enough.

                After looking for over an hour I realise Google doesn’t really have the answers I needed, all I knew was that she didn’t sound American, or English, or any accent I’ve heard of before, which doesn’t really help me in my search at all. I gaze at the clock, 8:43pm. Swallowing, I realise it’s probably time to leave to meet Isabel, I turn to my mirror and grab my hairbrush, trying to make my mess of a hair look a little presentable. I place the brush beside my mirror and stare at myself for a moment, I look tired, stressed. God, I’ve only been here a week, what’s the rest of my life going to do to me?

                I slip out of my window and shift into a small bird, flying towards the library.

                I get there a few minutes early, its almost dark and I’m not entirely sure where I’m meant to be meeting her, so instead I sit on a bench a few metres from the library, intertwining my fingers and I wait for her to appear. After a few minutes I glance at my watch, 9:01pm. Maybe she’s not coming, maybe she’s late. I internally groan as these thoughts rush through my head, all I want to do is hide, but I know I need answers on who and what the hunters are.

                When my parents get home I might even ask them what they know, yet I doubt they’ll tell me much, my parents prefer to hide me from any danger, like… it suddenly hits me. My parents probably made us leave England because of the Hunters, they said it was because of dads immortality, yet I doubt that was the case. Whatever happened to witches being strong and powerful if my parents only ran from the danger?

                Frustrated, I call out to my mother telepathically Mum, why did we leave England?

                Pippa? Are you ok honey? She replies.

                I sigh, Mum, please, just answer the question. I’m still not happy with you and I really need to know this. Just tell me the truth.

                I don’t get a reply for a few seconds, I feel mum thinking about her reply, Sweetheart, you know why we left, people were starting to wonder why your dad didn’t look any older. We had lived there for 5 years, that’s far longer than we’ve stayed anywhere before, even you knew it was time to move on to somewhere new.

                Cut the crap mum, there was another reason why we left. We could have just moved to somewhere else in England, like normal. Instead you made us move to a whole different country. Why?

                Pippa…

                Only the truth mum, I don’t want you to lie to me anymore. I’m tired of running away from everything. We’re witches, we’re meant to be powerful and not run from anything.

                I think you already know why, especially if you’re asking me. She whispers.

                I don’t reply to her answer, instead I look around me and bite my lip, perhaps hunter are everywhere then. Maybe there is no escape.

                “Phillipa?” a voice asks.

                I look up to see the same woman in designer sunglasses looking at me, she smiles, showing off a row of perfect white teeth. “I’ve been waiting a long time to meet you, Phillipa Talabi.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the wait! I felt really bad for not updating in over 7 months :(

- Abs