Mel

"You're really awesome," Noah grins at me, his blue eyes sparkling. Sure, I knew I was awesome-in many ways-but it was always nice when someone tells me I am.

"You're not bad yourself," I murmur and kiss his lips slowly, biting the bottom one. He gave me a lot of beer.

"Alright, lay down. I've got work tomorrow and I can't be late."

I do as he says but as soon as his breathing evens out, I jump up and get dressed, grabbing my phone and stumbling outside. I call Sean as soon as I'm out in the crisp autumn air. "My God Mel. Please tell me you didn't."

"I did. Now come get me. I'm drunk and I need you." After giving him the address I sat down and waited less than three minutes for him to show up.

"Come on. Get in." He puts a blanket over my shoulders and turns the heater up to full blast and I could've purred when the heat hit me. "We'll sleep in my room tonight."

"I'm sorry Sean," I murmur softly and look at him, but he simply shakes his head and I close my eyes. Sean always looks out for me, even if I don't look out for myself. He's probably more worried about me than anyone else I know.

"How many beers have you had?"

"Dunno," I open my eyes and look at my hands. Too many. I've had way too many.

"I called your brother. Just so you know, he knows you've been working at the diner, and he doesn't care because he knows Bill will keep you out of your trouble."

I feel tears in my eyes. I don't know why, but they're there. And I know Jason must be at the diner by now. Looks like I have to go home drunk. "I'm sorry Sean."

"Hey, it's okay. Mel, please don't cry, okay?" He had pulled up in the diner's parking lot and he pulled me over onto his lap and I cried into his shoulder. I didn't care how ridiculous I was. I let him pull me close as the tears spilled over. We sat like that until there was a knock on the window and my brother opened the door. In no time, I was away from Sean and in my brother's arms.

"What happened?" My brother murmurs into my hair.

"I'm so stupid!" I whimper softly and shake my head. "So so stupid."

"Where did you go when you left Sean? What did you do? Tell me."

"I-I went home with the new worker. I got drunk. There was another guy-"

"Aw hell Mel. Don't do that. Please. That could've turned out horrible." He sets me in the passenger seat and I curl into a ball and watch him. I expect him to drive, but as soon as he gets in the driver's seat, he turns and looks at me, his hazel eyes full of worry.

"I didn't mean to," I whimper and wipe at the hot tears rolling down my face. Sure, I needed a distraction, but I can't control myself.

Jason had put up the CD thing and pulled me close to him. I laid my head on his shoulder and let myself cry. I know it may sound weird, but it felt good. "Mel, I didn't know you needed me this bad. Just promise if I let you go to that diner, you will work. You'll stay out of trouble."

Even though I couldn't see my brother, I could tell he was crying. Maybe it was a twin thing? "I will. I promise. I-I'll train the new guy."

Jason's arms tighten ever so slightly around me and I close my eyes. I could stay with this like my brother forever.

Growing up, Jason never really paid attention to me. I was the outcast, the quiet one. I was bullied. One day, I snapped. I threw punches at the bullies, causing my brother to at least notice me. But then, I began to get worse. Pill popping, and then what I was recently busted for, but that's another story for another time.

Toward the end of middle school, Jason saw how much I needed him, but Sean always helped too-just in a different way. A way that would make my parents really mad.

"Anyway," Jason's voice is muffled by my hair, but it breaks me away from any flash backs. "I was thinking we could order pizza and watch a movie. Anything you want."

"I already ate," I murmured and rubbed at my eyes. "But, I'll let you tell me a story."

"Mel, I haven't told you a story. Ever."

"Mom and dad have, so I know you can." I grin into his neck, but I couldn't see his face.

"Should I make one up or tell you an old one?"

"Either one is good," I murmur and try to stiffle a yawn. I close my eyes and feel my brother's truck purr to life underneath me, and then we begin to drive.

"Mel, you have no idea how worried I was when I found out what had happened. Sean is a good kid, but you weren't with him. Tomorrow I'll drop you off at the diner and you can cook. Just please, please stay out of trouble."

"I will Jason." I just hoped that was a promise I could keep.