Nate

As soon as we got there, Mel began to flirt. What shouldn't have made me mad is Noah liking it. But Noah goes through girls like some people go through tissues. And I can tell it makes Maddie uncomfortable. She looks up at me, her hazel eyes pleading that we wont have to deal with it all night.

"We wont deal with it all night," I whisper and loop my arm around her shoulders and tuck her to my side. "But most of it. I could always take you somewhere if they get too...you know." I raise an eyebrow and I know she understands. She picks at a string on my shirt as her lips press into a straight line.

"So you like cooking?" Mel had already worked her way onto Noah's lap and she was beaming as she looked at him. I felt my fist clench.

"Yeah, and I'm pretty damn good." His lips press against hers and her smile grows wider.

"You should show me. I work with Nate. You should come by for a burger sometime." With a wink, she's off his lap and she disappears into the kitchen.

"Dude, that girl is awesome. She cooks, she's adorable-"

"And she uses guys." I had to point it out.

"I use girls. I don't see a problem. You can take my sister out. Do whatever you want. Just have fun." He grins and goes into the kitchen after Mel, and I hear Mel laugh that sweet laugh of hers.

Maddie's eyes immediately go to my car, then she looks at me, her face searching my face. She wants to know if I still race. I know that look in her eyes.

I let out a long sigh and cock an eyebrow at her. "Yes I do still race I'll take you for a ride. Come on."

***

Maddie always loved riding shotgun with me. She would roll down the window and her hair would fly out the window. Tonight it was drag racing. God she loved it. And I loved having her with me. The only other person I would want is Mel, but that's really ridiculous. She doesn't even like me.

Maddie grins as she comes back, pointing to a guy that wants to race me. Despite not talking, Maddy is good at getting me people I can beat.

"Good." I get back in my car to try to race away from my mind.