Nate

Maddy looks at me, her lip stuck out in a pout as she looks at me. You cheated, didn't you Nate, she seems to be thinking.

"You just suck at video games Maddie." I grin and kiss her neck which causes her to elbow me. "Hey. That's not nice. And I know I dumped you. Just stop."

She turns an awkward shade of pink as she rolls her eyes, and I smile. Yeah, I did break up with her, but she was a great friend, so I couldn't leave her alone. That, and her brother is a good friend of mine and let me move in with him.

"Sorry Maddie, but in his defense, you were sitting on his lap earlier," her brother, Noah cut it.

Maddy throws her arms into the air, clearly mad, and she gets up. Sure, Maddie is shy, and she hasn't talked for two years now, but when she is mad, she is mad. And to prove that point, she grabs all her stuff and leaves, slamming the door behind her.

"She'll text me in five minutes."

"Yup. I know." Her brother laughs and relaxes on the couch next to me. He's nineteen and doesn't mind hanging out with me.

"Don't you have work tomorrow?"

"Yup. And you have work too. You can have the couch tonight if you want. Stay up and watch TV, but don't be late tomorrow."

"Yeah, I know." I lay on the couch and turn on the TV, watching some stupid reality show. And sure enough, five minutes in, I get a text.

Maddie: I'm sorry. :(

She always texts me at around this time, no matter what, and I'm glad for that.

Me: I know.

Maddie: Aren't you working for that guy...Billy?

I hadn't even told her. Noah must have.

Me: Yeah, why?

Maddie: Don't bring lunch. He lets you have free meals as long as you work.

Me: And you know this because...?

Maddie: I have friends!

I laugh and smile. I could just picture Maddie's frustrated face as she glares at me.

Me: Really? Never would have guessed.

Maddie: Goodnight Nate.

Me: Bye Maddie.

One of the hardest things for me to do is say goodbye to Maddie, even if it's just for a night. At least I know I'll be able to see her tomorrow, and every day after.