Little Things

---Emily's POV---

Today was the day of the Hospital performance. I wasn't going.... It's been a couple of days since the bridge incident. My heart wasn't ready to face Harry. The fact that he was going to be singing would not help. Harry's voice was my weakness, along with his eyes. Those bright green eyes were full of both mystery, and love. Both factors drawing me deeper and deeper in. 

Niall had called, begging for me to come to the performance. I hadn't really seen him either. I have been swamped with reading, homework, and studying. Finals were coming up faster than the speed of light, and I was worried. My grades were fine, that wasn't the problem. The problem was that my mind was too much in it's own little world.... with Harry. Anytime I saw the color green, my mind would wander to those beautiful eyes of his. How they would absorb everything around them. It was as though everything his eyes took in, was beautiful... including me. And lately, beautiful was the farthest feeling I had in mind. 

Right now, it was about ten in the morning. I was at my kitchen table, books, notebooks, and papers sprawled out all over the surface. Study time for Emily. Awesome.... sarcasm intended. I was wearing some old grey sweats and a navy blue sweater. My hair was up in an uncontrollable bun. Why did other girls look so cute with messy buns? Mine look like I got into a fight with a weedwhacker. Brandon was getting ready for work. On a Saturday. Big shocker there huh?

"Emily, you look a mess." he said, shaking his head. Ummm thanks? Asswhole..."You should go wash up or something."....prick.

"I'm studying for Finals, not going to the Oscars." I said sarcastically. He glared at me. He was different. 

"Listen I won't be able to-" My phone interrupted what he was going to say... although I already knew what it was 'I can't make it blah blahblah'. 

"Hello?" I answered the phone, looking at Brandon fix up his tie.

"Hello Emily, I was wondering, could you please come in to the hospital today?" It was Krista, the volunteer services lady from the Children's Hospital, "There's going to be a band coming in today to perform for the children. We are a bit short handed today and would really appreciate some help." 

Are. You. Kidding. ME??

"There aren't any other volunteers available?" I asked. I didn't want to sound rude, I just really didn't want to be there when Harry was going to start singing. 

"I'm sorry, no. Please, they're going to be here in an hour. And we really need an extra hand with the children." I wanted to throw my phone out of the window! But I couldn't... Niall bought this phone for me. 

"Okay, I'll be there in a bit." I hung up the phone. Looking up, Brandon was still fixing his tie. "Let me get  that." I walked up to him and began fixing it. 

"What was all of that?" he asked me, looking at my hands as they worked around the article of clothing. I couldn't tell him that One Direction (including Harry... the guy he told me to stay away from) was going to be there and they I needed to help them with the children. 

"They just need a few extra hands there is all. It's going to be a loooonnnggg night." I sighed. He nodded his head as I finished with his tie. 

"So now it's YOU who won't be home until late." he chuckled. 

"Yup, Well have a good day at work. I'm gonna go get in the shower." I patted his shoulder and walked right past him. I had grown accustomed to not wait for a kiss or hug goodbye. "Lock the door on your way out." I said before closing the bathroom door behind me. 

In the shower, I was mentally preparing myself for when I came face to face with Harry. For when he began singing. What if he looks right at me while singing? What if he sings Truly Madly Deeply again? Oh no... what if he sang More Than This? The same song he sang when he was at my balcony? I began to worry...alot. I should just call and tell them I can't make it. I'm sure they can take care of the kids. If the boys told them to sit quietly on their seats and listen, I'm sure they'd obey. I know Rosie would just be so happy to see Harry.

My thoughts stopped and focused on one subject. Rosie, she'd want me to be next to her. In case the children DID get a bit rowdy, she'd be nervous. I had to go. For Rosie. 

I decided to wear some solid, teal scrubs. I put on a bit of make up. Nothing too extravagant. Walking out of the door, I yelled back to Charlie to wish me luck. I was going to need it. 

***

Usually the hospital was calm and quiet. I guess the children heard that THE One Direction was going to be singing to them. They were running around all over the place! I tried asking them to sit quietly and patiently.. pfftt... that didn't work one bit. I had an idea.

"That's too bad," I shook my head, talking a bit loudly so that everyone could hear, "One Direction really love being friends with little girls and boys that behave." Every single little head turned to attention. They all began to sit in a chair. Wow! My idea actually worked. As I was counting how many children were here, a small hand rose up in the air, Michelle. 

"Yes Michelle?" I asked, giving a small smile. 

"Miss Emily? Are you best friends with One Direction?" all eyes were on me. Even the nearby nurses and volunteers turned to look at me. I nervously chuckled as I nodded my head. 

"Which one is your bestestest friend?" Timothy asked. I looked at him. I didn't know what to say. I stood there for what seemed like eternity. 

"Yeah, who?" I heard a familiar Chesire accent right behind me... I was frozen. I was not ready for this. When I turned around, I was met with warm green eyes. The SAME warm green eyes that used to see me as beautiful. Deep inside my soul, I was wishing they still did. "Hello Emily," he gave a small smile. 

"H-Har-"

"Harry!" I heard the children cheer his name. That's when the other boys came in. Niall, Zayn, Louis, and Liam walked in waving and smiling. The children all got out of their seats and began to run towards the boys. Oh no... so much for sitting and listening. 

The children were jumping up and down, screaming, and tearing at the boys shirt ends. I had to calm them down. The closest boy to me was Harry. Although I didn't want to really speak to him, mainly because I wasn't ready, I had to calm the children down. 

"Go to the mic and tell them that you are bestest friends with quiet children that listen."

"bestest?" he laughed at my choice of words. I rolled my eyes in an annoyed manner. He knew his smile, the way his lips raised more at one corner than the other, was a weakness. 

"Just do it. And be polite, unlike me, their spirits would be crushed if you yell at them to get away from you." his smile dropped as I spoke these words. I turned around and walked away. I lied... my spirit was definately crushed when he kicked me out of his car. It was crushed to small specks of dust. 

I sat beside Rosie, her fragile body too weak to go and jump on the boys. I knew she wanted to though. During my lunch breaks, I would go to Rosie's room and play One Direction music. She would nod her head to the beat because she was too weak to dance completely. She absolutely adored them. 

"I'll ask them to come talk to you after the concert okay my Rosie Posie?" I whispered into her ear. Her pink bandana covering her head, she turned to look at me. 

"Will they want to come talk to me?" She asked with worried eyes. My eyesbrows scrunched together, confused.

"Why wouldn't they want to talk to you? You're amazing."