Staring into the Water

Specter sat back and watched as the others argued. The Leaf-Feather had quickly separated herself from the shrub-brained dragons. The Grass-Runner that had supposedly been in the real jungle before was sitting not far from Specter doing the same.

It seemed that the idiot Branch-Leaper had decided that he should lead, while a female Sea-Diver thought she should. To Specter it was the most meaningless argument. Why didn't they just fight for leadership like normal dragons?

It seemed that the Grass-Runner agreed, for he spoke up. "Oi!"

The whole group looked at him.

Undeterred, he continued, "You guys should just fight like real dragons and stop bickering."

"Agreed," Specter nodded.

The Branch-Leaper snarled, "I don't know why you think you're better than us. But you should know that real dragons don't do barbaric things such as fight for leadership."

Specter and the Grass-Runner let out a snort. Specter stood and shook herself off.

"I didn't think I'd have to spell it out for you, but it seems you're duller than a river stone," she stalked up to him. "I was born out here, and he's survived out here to." The Dream-Walker flicked her tail to the Grass-Runner, "I've gone for many sunrises without food. I've fought off jaguars, eagles, and things you've never even heard of." She put her nose to his, "So if you think you know everything, then you can go fly into a cliff."

There was absolute silence as the Branch-Leaper took a step back. He seemed to try and come up with something to say, but he was strangely lost for words.

The Sea-Diver stepped up to Specter and extended a paw, "My name is Sand. Thank you for shutting that fish-brain up. He was getting annoying."

Specter nodded, "My name is Specter. If you're wondering, I don't want to lead this group, so you can if you want." The small dragon shrugged.

Sand nodded, "Thank you." The Sea-Diver paused then turned to the group, "Everyone, we should take shelter before sunset." She glanced to Specter.

The Leaf-Feather nodded, "Tonight's spot will be a temporary place to rest. I suggest in the canopy. The tree line isn't far from here."

Sand nodded, "You all heard her. The canopy."

It took a bit, but soon the group was moving. Specter knew that they were still recovering from the arguing, and soon they'd be complaining. But for now, they were moving out of the open.

As they walked, Specter moved to be next to the Grass-Runner. The Grass-Runner nodded a greeting.

"Thank you for dealing with that," he hoped over a rock with ease. "I don't think it would have ended as nicely if I had done it." He paused, "My name's Thicket by the way."

Specter nodded, "It was no problem, Thicket. I was surprised by how smoothly it went to."

The Grass-Runner nodded and they walked in silence the rest of the way to the tree line. Then the group disappeared into the underbrush, same from the eyes that had been watching from a distance.