Running on the Hills

Specter stalked over a root, her eyes trained on the creature before her. The Leaf-Feather didn't know the name of it, but it was large, furry, and smelled of water plants. Specter took a deep breath, and leapt. The Leaf-Feather's prey squealed like a hog and scrambled to get back up. Specter hissed and lunged for its neck, letting the anger that burned within out.

She stood on top of her catch, panting. Ever since Macaw had confessed his love to her, she'd been angry at so many things. She was angry with her power, she was angry with Macaw for not telling her sooner, but mostly, she was angry with herself.

The Leaf-Feather shook her head and put the thoughts of her best friend away. With a small sigh, Specter grabbed her kill by a leg and started to drag it back to the camp. She steeled her mind; maybe if she worked hard enough she would forget that event with Macaw.

Once specter was back at the tree, she climbed up, hauling her catch up the trunk. With a grunt, the small Leaf-Feather pushed the furry creature up and into the spot where the branches split from the trunk. She then climbed up onto a branch and sat down, tired from carrying a creature as big as she was. Bud and Flower leapt down from higher branches to stare at Specter's catch in amazement.

"Wow!" Exclaimed Flower in amazement.

"It's as big as you are, Specter!" Bud bounced a bit.

Specter smiled at the two younger dragons. After the Branch-Leapers had chased them out of their home, both Bud and Flower had become much more serious. But now that they had settled down again, the youngest of the Waterfall Pack had finally come out again and started to act like their age again.

"What is it?" Bud had finally gotten over her first excitement at having some large piece of food brought in.

Specter shrugged, "I have no idea."

"Is it a bear?" Flower sniffed it.

Before Specter could speak, Fang interrupted, "It's a capybara."

"Capybara?" The three asked in unison.

"Is it dangerous?" Bud asked, her excitement bubbling up again.

"Is it poisonous?" Flower asked while nervously glancing at the dead animal.

Fang shook her head and sat down next to Specter, "No and no. Capybaras are harmless, it's actually a good sign that we found one."

Bud tilted her head at the pack's Beta, "Why is it a good sign."

"Well," Flower started, "There's never only one capybara. They travel in large groups."

"I do believe that we should stop talking about the food, and just eat the food," Macaw said, startling the four Leaf-Feathers.

Specter bristled, and Macaw flinched. The black Leaf-Feather held in a smirk.

"Oi!" she exclaimed, stalking up to the male dragon.

Macaw flinched back, "Specter, I'm-"

Specter didn't let him finish, "I'm the one who startles people, Haelo! So stick to your role of doing... Stuff!"

It took Macaw a moment to process what she'd said, but when he did, he looked at her, his mouth slightly open in shock. Specter smiled back at him, she didn't hold grudges.