Lurking in the Grass

Specter sighed happily. She was sitting in the branches of a tree. She glanced down at the waterfall below her. With a grin, she let out a loud, proud call. The Waterfall-Pack, as they had named themselves, ruled this part of the jungle. Neither the Root-Park nor the Cliff-Pack caused trouble. Well, none of the packs fought, but the Waterfall-Pack had yet to be challenged.

Specter turned her head as she heard a noise from behind her. It was Macaw. The green dragon sat next to the black dragon. There was silence between them, before Macaw spoke.

"Specter, there's something I have to say," the male Leaf-Feather started.

Specter tilted her head, "What is it, Macaw?"

He took a deep breath, and looked into her green eyes, "Specter... I love you."

Specter froze. Her mouth opened to speak, and then she closed it. The Leaf-Feather knew not what to say. But, she knew one fact: she didn't love him back. Well, at least, not in the way he did. She loved him like a brother. Before either one of them could speak, Specter was jolted awake.

The Leaf-Feather awoke in her nest. She yawned and lifted her head. Looking over to her friend's nest, she could see that Macaw was awake. Specter stayed still. This wasn't something she expected. But... Now that she looked back at it, it made sense. All those times he would sit with her and watch the sky, all those weird looks. The Leaf-Feather groaned, this was not what she needed.

It was later that day; Specter was sitting on the branch of a tree hanging off the edge of the cliff. She could hear the waterfall not far off, and that sounds and prey-creatures in the leaves. With a lazy yawn Specter stood and stretched. The Leaf-Feather turned around as she caught Macaw's scent. He silently sat down next to the black Leaf-Feather.

After a moment, Macaw spoke, "Specter, there's something I have to say to you."

Specter sat down and was silent, she knew what was coming, and she knew what she had to say; even if it would ruin their friendship.

The green Leaf-Feather looked into her emerald eyes, "Specter, I love you."

She could see his nervousness in his yellow eyes, but she swallowed her guilt, and spoke, "Macaw..."

The male Leaf-Feather sighed sadly at her tone, "You don't feel the same..."

"Macaw-"

He cut her off, "No, don't talk. I get it."

Macaw stood and leapt off the branch, disappearing into the jungle. Specter sighed sadly and bowed her head. She'd messed up big with this.