Chapter 9

Echizen awoke with a start. He quickly bolted up on the couch only to realize that he was safe at home. He looked around to see Ryoga sleeping in a position he didn't know was possible and couldn't fathom how it was comfortable and then Fuji, Kikumaru, and Momo lying rather normally. He was surprised to that Ryoga was actually there with him; to be perfectly honest he had basically forgot about him and wasn't really sure if it was actually him that had gotten him from the park.

He looked at a clock on the wall but found it useless because all he could see was the outline of it amongst the dark of the room. He lay back on the couch and tried to get to sleep but his mind was filling with questions that he wanted answers to. His body also felt extremely heavy and achy but given the circumstances he was glad for it. If things had taken a turn for the worst, he could wind up in the hospital again, or in the hands of his would-be assailant. He didn't know how long it took for him to fall back asleep but he was glad for it but not for the rude awakening the got when it was time to get ready for school.

"Come on, up. You already missed too many days and you're not going to miss anymore." Ryoga was grouchy, there was no hiding it but seeing as he was suffering from jet lag, no one could blame him. "Don't make me drop the cat on you."

"Ryoga-san don't you think you should be a little less- forceful?" Kikumaru asked as he, Momo, and Fuji got themselves out of their makeshift beds.

"Yeah he is injured after all." Momo added.

"This is nothing compared to what he'll have to deal with if he doesn't get up."

"I am up." Echizen pushed himself up from the couch. "How do you expect me to sleep when I have to hear that annoying thing coming from your mouth?"

"Why can't you ever take things seriously?" Ryoga sighed and his hand slid down his face. "Today is probably the only day we have to actually figure out what to do about this."

"Let's get it figured out then." Fuji quickly said. "What's our plan of action then?"

Ryoga let out an annoyed groan. "It's useless for me to tell only you and have to repeat it later to everyone else. I want to hurry and leave so we can get to your school and set up a meeting with this Tezuka so I can tell everyone at once so hurry up and let's get going."

"Fine, fine if it means you'll be quiet for a few minutes." Echizen more so rolled off the couch. Ryoga threw his hands up and walked from the room.

"You know he's just worried about you; that's why he's fussing so much." Momo said after a few seconds of silence.

"Shouldn't you two at least be happy to see each other even if it's not the best circumstances?" Kikumaru asked.

Echizen sighed. "It's not that, I mean- he always just seems so bothered because no matter what it's always something about me." He picked up the cat that was entangling himself in his legs and left for his room to get changed.

"This has to be hard for all of them." Fuji said. "We know somewhat of what's happening but nothing quite so extreme."

"Best thing we can do is help them out and get the whole thing over with as quickly as possible." Momo responded.

"Yosh! Let's find this guy and get rid of him." Kikumaru said. The three of them raised their fists as for a cheer.

Ryoga sighed in the other room. He was relieved to hear that they would all give it their best to help with everything but he also knew better; he knew what their lives were like and the basics of what they all had to go through and that what they were going to experience in the next few days was nothing like they had ever faced before.