Chapter Two: The Forest Voices

It was raining on the surface above as I walk slowly through the dark forest and once again I was getting drenched.
Sticking my hands in my trench coat pockets, my hand curling around my wand and as soon as I do, I hear whispers coming from in front of me...no behind me...To my left? Right?
I shake my head trying to rid my head of these torrent voices. They seemed to be getting louder and more demanding.
A couple of names catch my attention. I strain my ears trying to focus.
"You're pathetic."
"You are getting weaker, Athena."
The stupid, idiotic words are freaking mocking me.
"Leave me alone." I snap at the air. Oh fantastic, I am apparently talking to no one now.

Before I knew it I was hearing a twig break off in the distance within the darkness. That couldn't be the forest. I wasn't alone here.
Wand at the ready, my other hand at my side just in case I am not powerful enough to overtake the intruder- Wait wait wait. I wrote that wrong. The other intruder. Better.

As soon as I spot the other person, I flick my wand and they are spontaneously wrapped in chains of light.

I take a closer look, and I smile, lowering my wand. "Artemis!" I am peering into the face of Headmaster Randolph's night form, Artemis.I know it's him because I was there when he first shifted forms.
Heck I was his mentor!

"Athena! What are you doing here?" She asks bewildered.
I raise an eyebrow, "You're the one wrapped in light chains are you're asking me questions?"

She laughs and I allow the binds to dissolve.
"Anyways, I just got back from Purgatory." I answer her question and she answers in return.

"I was just going to check on the locks on the Tower of Sorrow."

I tilt my head, "Why? I thought that no one can find it through the wander spell?"

The wander spell is barrier magic, and Artemis had aced in that category when she was my apprentice.
And the Tower of Sorrow is a very magical tower that I call a death trap. I fell out one of the windows once and not because I am klutz thank-you-very-much.
Anyways the Tower is protecting the Dragon of Time and the Dragon's Eye. Two things that have Guardians yet to be assigned to them. In the meantime I have the headmaster and Professor Nera protecting them.
"Someone is planning to use one of the academy's students to find the tower and use a carbuncle's blood to open the door to the Dragon."
As we walk along, Artemis tells me about everything that has been happening recently that I hadn't bee aware of, 'cause of my Guardian duties that I have to take care of.

"Dark magic, huh? Strange."I say after she tells me of pigeons being found drained of blood at the back of the girl's dorm. That is always a sign of dangerous magic.

We reach the tower and since Professor Nera isn't here I have to help open the doors to the tower.

After a few minutes of Artemis and I checking the lock and traps, we seal the door closed once again.

"I'm exhausted." she says.

"Me too, but you don't hear me complaining."

We reach the girl's dorm quickly with a cloak of reflection shielding us from view.

Once inside the building on our way up to my dorm, I stop Artemis from leaving.

"Tomorrow night I'll look into one of the issues. Which one?" I hand the choice over to her and Artemis grins.
"You entrusted the tower to me and Nera. And besides I think that you deserve an easy task for once."

I nod and after saying our goodbyes I fall asleep on my bed as soon as my head hits the pillow.

XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX

Hey guys! What's up? I am Terribly sorry for not posting in what feels like forever, but I have started school and it's been hectic....HOWEVER....you should be happy because I am finishing this at 5:30 in the morning. Satisfied? You better be!

The next chapter will be up as soon as i can.

-Jackie