Chapter Twelve | Burning

Chapter Twelve

Burning

            The hospital wing was a place Neville had spent a lot of time in whilst at Hogwarts, but upon returning found it nicer than he remembered. It was homey, with beds that smelled like cleanliness and the stern but caring touch of Madam Pomfrey was a healing miracle all on its own.

“Neville!” Madam Pomfrey said, rushing over to him “What brings you here? Another mandrake fainter, or perhaps a cat pansy bight?”

Chuckling, Neville shook his head “Not today Poppy; I’ve come to visit Ms. Weasley.”

“How nice, she just woke up a little while a go. Her head is much clearer now, not at all drowsy.” Poppy seemed genuinely happy that Dominique was recovering “Very bored though; is that book for her?”

“Yes, may I come in?”

“Of course, right this way!” they wove through the beds, and pulled back a curtain. Dom was sitting in the bed, pale but awake and reading the Prophet.

“Hello Ms. Weasley,” Neville said, pulling up a chair “How about some better reading?” he held up the book and smiled, hoping she wouldn’t ask Madam Pomfrey to kick him out.

Startled, Dom nodded “Thank you, I’ve read all the Prophets from the last month and corrected all the cross word puzzles.”

“Impressive.” Handing over the book, he watched Dom nod as she read the cover, then put it to the side. “Dominique, we have to talk. You know we do.”

“Do we? I wasn’t aware.”

“I know you’re witty, I know your smart-now what’s tumbling about inside that none of us are allowed to see?” Neville was a little angry, but he tried to suppress it-teachers didn’t get angry. Teachers were calm and cool, composed even when students frustrated them.

Neville had never noticed how blue Dominique’s eyes were, and as she stared at him, he saw for a moment the scared girl she really was. Not the popular beauty the rest of the school saw, not the brilliant mind the teachers witnessed-but a child, scared at the situation she had thrown herself into.

“Professor, I’m fine.”

“You’re not,” said Neville, clenching his fists “Maybe this is the wrong way to go about it, but whatever you’re doing to yourself Dominique is not the answer to whatever turmoil is going on inside your mind.”

Dom frowned “I-”

“Hold a moment, Dominique.” Neville held up his hands in defence “I know you think you know what’s going on, what you’re doing-but you don’t. You have a problem, Ms. Weasley-and I will make sure you are helped.”

Sitting up, Dominique’s eyes turned icy “Thank you Professor Longbottom, but I don’t have a problem. I am perfectly healthy.”