Chapter 12

Assembly Day

      I walked into the gym where everyone was already seated in the bleachers.  I looked around trying to find me a spot.

   "Kelly over here!" Danny waved at me from the middle center, where he was sitting with his group of friends. 

    I smiled. I made my way over there to sit next to him, before the assistant principal made the announcement. 

     "Today we are all gathered here because we wanted to announce the king and queen. Most of you have checked our social page,  so you already know.  But the winners are Danny Evans and Kelly Walker. Come claim your crowns!"

    Danny grabbed my hand as we both made our way to the front. Our classmates cheered and screamed. I turned my head to see Tiffany and her friends giving me this death glare. At first I thought I would be super nervous,  but I think those girls brought me confidence out of nowhere.

    After Danny and I got our crowns placed on our head, a song blasted into the speakers. It was Back At One by Brian McKnight.  This was only our second slow dance,  but somehow my body moved whenever his did.

    We swayed across the gym floor, dancing to the song,  and even laughing a little as we both thought it was silly. Danny was still the same goofy guy I met a long time ago. Sure Ricky made me feel alive for a short while. But Danny was the guy who belonged to me.

   When the song ended, the bell rang and everyone ran out the gym heading to their classes.

    "I'm so happy that I got to enjoy this with you. I wouldn't want to with anyone else." Danny cupped my chin in his hands, as he looked deep into my eyes.

    "I'm happy too." I kissed his lips as I hugged him pulling him closer.

  "Congrats.  I guess you two are meant to be." Tiffany scoffed as she walked past us going to her locker.

    Danny just took my hand squeezing it. I wrapped my arm around his waist, and we made our way to the next class.

    I had to go to Chemistry,  while he had to go to Art but the classes were right across each other.

    "See you after class babe." Danny kissed my cheek before going to his class. Then I walked into mine.

After what seemed a long day, school was finally over and I was ready to go home.  I was heading out the door, when I got stopped by Ricky.

"Ricky I have to go. Danny is waiting for me at his car." I said with a fake smile plastered on my face.  I just wanted him to finally get the hint that I was happy. 

   "I thought we could go grab frappes at McDonald's like old times.  But it's cool I'll catch you later." Ricky went back into the building. 

Ugh. I didn't need this right now.  I searched the parking lot for Danny's car,  and when I found it I walked over there. Tiffany was leaving as soon as I walked to the car.  What the hell were they talking about?

  "Want to explain? " I asked as I got into the passenger side.

   "She just wanted to talk. Don't worry babe, she's not taking me from you. But we dated for a long time. We are still going to be friends." Danny got in the car. He pulled me into his lap and kissed my neck. "We are good. Ok?"

    "Okay." I whispered breathlessly. I've been waiting for the moment for Danny to get physical with me.

    "Let's get going." He laughed. I groaned as I made my way back to my side, putting my seatbelt on.

   When was Danny going to show that side to me? I'm sure Tiffany got that side.  I really didn't want to know.

    "Can we go to your house instead? " I blurted out.

  "Kelly are you hinting something? " Danny looked at me through the rear view mirror. He lifted one of his eyebrows at me, letting me know he was catching on to what I saying.

   "I'm ready Danny."

He pulled the car around and we went to his house.