Chapter 43ii

The avenues of the Encampment were becoming busy. The merchants were opening their stalls, rolling back their tent flaps, and setting out their tables, but after the morning's turmoil there was an air of uncertain suspense about the place. Karek could feel it as he led his brothers along its avenues.

"How can you be sure?" asked Larrad.

"I can't," replied Karek. "But you've got to agree, it makes sense."

"But the fortress is massive. It will take an age to search."

"So it's lucky we know someone who can tell us where the boy is being hidden."

When they reached it, Merchant Dres' tent was closed. Xerekus was still hunkered menacingly outside. One of its heads had its eyes closed, apparently in sleep, but the other was glaring balefully at the soldier standing on the other side of the avenue, who looked discomfited, and was trying not to meet his gaze.

"What news, Ulli?" said Karek cheerfully as he approached the soldier.

"Nothing, sir," said Ulli, looking relieved at Karek's return.

"No one's left the tent, and the boys round the back say the same."

"Good," said Karek, and turned to the tent's flap in time to see it pushed aside as the unremarkable figure of Svell SanMartin stepped into view.

Xerekus opened his other set of eyes and watched the Trade Proctor cross the avenue to where Karek waited.

"Could you tell me the meaning of this, Unit-leader?" he asked, with forced politeness.

"The meaning of what exactly, Seior SanMartin?" replied Karek, smiling.

"You have your men surrounding my employer's property. He would like to know why."

"That matter will only be discussed with Merchant Dres, Seior SanMartin."

"You can't enter."

Svell SanMartin put his hand casually on the hilt of his sword.

"I think we'll have to insist, Seior."

The unassuming Trade Proctor turned his mild gaze from Karek to his two brothers, and then to squad-man Ulli, who was looking uncomfortable and wholly unthreatening.

"You have neither the authority nor the men to support your insistence. Go away."

Karek smiled again.

"You don't understand, Seior SanMartin. It isn't me who wishes to talk with the good Merchant."

There was some stirring of commotion at the far end of the avenue, where the scant crowds of people who'd ventured into the Encampment were hastily moving themselves aside. A snorting and a low growling could be heard, and then the junction was filled with a troop of ten mounted knights, attired in armour of mesh, with swords at their sides and rail-shields in their hands. Some wore the grey of Bannoc Chapter, others the white of Jacob, or the yellow and red of Dolphus. Behind them came units of soldiers, wearing the arms of all six of the Order's Chapters.

Svell SanMartin's expression did not change, even when more soldiers rounded the corner at the avenue's other end. He calmly watched them approach. The only sign of emotion he gave was the irritated glance he shot at Xerekus as the creature drew its swords and unfolded itself to stand in the centre of the avenue.

The knights spread themselves into a half circle, with Merchant Dres' doorkeeper at their centre. They drew their own curved swords, and their steeds lowered their horned heads to growl and snarl at the creature before them.