Chapter 25ii

Sir Kralaford found Tahlessa in the private gardens, under the shade of a pagoda on one of the lower terraces. The fine cot from Chief-engineer Garenshik stood by the ornately carved bench where she sat, his son sleeping soundly inside. He looked down at Kralmir, and a smile touched his lips.

"He is looking well," he said as he sat down beside his wife.

"He will be strong," replied Tahlessa. "Like his father."

Sir Kralaford took her hand.

"And how are you, my love? I have missed you these last days."

Tahlessa smiled at him. She still looked pale, and her eyes lacked their usual spark.

"I am sure you have been so intent on the contests that you have not missed my presence for a second."

He filled a stone cup of pressed fruit juice and water from a jug sitting beside the bench, and handed it to his wife. He then poured one for himself.

"I have thought about you every hour of each day since I saw you last."

Tahlessa took a drink from the cup.

"Liar," she said sweetly.

Sir Kralaford gave a light shrug.

"Well, most hours," he conceded. "The contests are cause for distraction."

"This year more so than others," said Tahlessa. "So, tell me what I have missed."

Sir Kralaford smiled once more. He was always happy to talk to his wife about such matters.

"The early bouts are done. The lower echelon have chosen their Chapters and made their challenges. All were successful, and there were few surprises."

"But I feel the news is not good."

"More sought to join Vikas than I had hoped."

"That is worrying. Is it because they share Commander Galder's desire for war?"

"I am afraid that might be so. They are young and naive and crave the glory that war will bring."

"You were the same at their age I remember; eager to prove yourself and mark your place in the Order."

"I have been to war since then and have seen the truth of it, and know that constant conflict between the Orders brings us nothing."

"It is a pity so few others see the same truth."

"The news is not all bad. Sir Xanrath has made his challenge for Third echelon. He fights tomorrow."

"That is welcome. Who has he challenged?"

"Sir Draimar."

"And his chances of success?"

"He has inherited his father's skill, and his confidence, but he is still young. If he keeps his head he may do well."

"Morath would be proud of his son."

"Yes, and thankfully, despite their disagreements in everything else, Xanrath seems to share his father's favour of peace. My work would be easier if he were Commander of the Chapter of Vikas rather than Sir Galder, but it will be many years yet before he is ready to pose any challenge to him."

Tahlessa nodded and placed her still full cup on the bench beside her. She shaded her eyes with her hand and looked out over the gardens.

"You evaded my question earlier," said Sir Kralaford. "Cleverly, as always."

"Which question?"

"I asked you how you were, and you distracted me with questions of the tourney."