Chapter 42i

A lone ruteia scrabbled at something in the corner of the pitch dark room, its small claws scratching methodically at the stone floor. The creature was startled by a sudden grinding noise, and froze, its eyes becoming twin globes of red in the rectangle of light that had unexpectedly opened high on the far wall.

The ruteia scurried away into a distant dark hole as Tahlia jumped down to the floor and shone her hand-light around, revealing a low room, divided by empty wooden shelves that stretched away into darkness. Her brother jumped down beside her, then Dak climbed carefully down after them.

Tahlia made a shushing motion, then led them along the shelves towards a wide doorway.

"What is this place?" asked Grifford.

"I do not know," said Tahlia as she turned the heavy handle of the door. "But we can get all the way round to the central-courtyard through here."

She opened the door and went through to the wide curving tunnel beyond, which led away in both directions. It was lined, at intervals, with similar looking doors. She turned right and set off.

"These are the siege supply rooms," said Dak from behind her. "Food and equipment is being stored here when the fortress is under attack, but they will not have been put into use for over a hundred years."

"Well they will be put to use soon enough if our brother is not found," said Grifford. They walked on in silence, passing several wide stairways leading upwards, and more doors on either side. "Why do we not go up?"

"Because we need to go this way," Tahlia replied.

"But what is this way?"

"It comes out at the supply-depot."

"Wait!"

Grifford grabbed her arm and she span to a stop.

"Are you taking us to find this Jarrus person?"

"You mean Jerrus? Well, we have to go through the depot to get to the keep. I suppose we could see if he is there if you think it a good idea, brother, but I thought you wanted to go straight to Master Hepskil..."

"Do not twist my words, sister! You have brought us this way on purpose!"

"No! This is the only way out I know!"

That was almost the truth, but it seemed her brother was not fooled.

"You are lying."

"On our brother's life, I am not!"

Grifford let go of her arm.

"You are always lying."

Tahlia sighed at her brother's thick headedness and carried on walking.

"Look, we are here now. We cannot go back, so we might as well see if we can see Jerrus while we are passing through. Maybe he can tell us what his business with that Vlambra character was all about."

"Fine," said Grifford. "But we had better not take too long."

"Of course," replied Tahlia, and she rewarded her brother with an approving smile.

The corridor ended in a high double door, which was heavily barred and bolted. Grifford went to pull back one of the bolts.

"No; through here," said Tahlia, indicating a smaller door set into the larger. It too had a heavy bolt, but the socket was broken from the frame. Jerrus had obviously still not got around to having it fixed, though now Tahlia suspected that his inaction might have been something more than an oversight.