Chapter 32i

When the business in the arena-field was over and the crowd began to disperse, Tahlia gave a great sigh of relief. It had taken an age to finish, even after the Pride-commanders had made their challenges and counter challenges and whatever. There had been a great fuss as they remounted their steeds and led their Chapters back out of the field, and by then the excitement around her was beginning to get tiresome.

Her brother was being particularly annoying, his eyes bright as he continuously slapped his fist into the palm of his hand.

"What is wrong with you!" she said, elbowing him in the arm.

"Father will stand!" he said, clearly elated.

"Of course he will stand. I always knew he would."

Her brother did not reply and simply pushed himself into the crowd, away from her.

Tahlia was just in the process of figuring out how to make her own escape from the maddening throng, when a familiarly heavy, beringed hand fell on her shoulder.

"Lady Tahlia," came Mistress Oleander's strict voice. "Before you sneak away, your mother has requested your presence in her chambers."

"I was not about to sneak away," said Tahlia.

"Of course you were not," said Mistress Oleander, her hand tightening on her shoulder.

* * * * *

"That could not have gone better," said Karek as he led his brothers through the eager, chattering crowds.

Larrad also seemed in good humour at the result of the challenges.

"What'll we do now?" he said. "I fancy some time at the Encampment."

"That's where I'm off to," said Karek. "But for duty, I'm afraid. The people are in high spirits, which will doubtless lead them to the wine tents, and we all know how that ends. My Section-commander wants the peace kept."

"I've got work as well," said Maddock.

"Thought you'd got time off," said Larrad, clearly disappointed.

"Sprak wants me this afternoon, to help clean this place up."

He stepped over a pile of madriel dung that had been trodden into the arena-field's grass. The afternoon's work would not be easy.

Larrad sidestepped another pile of dung.

"So what am I supposed to do with my time?"

"Amuse yourself," said Karek. "The Encampment is yours."

"Easy for you to say. I've got no money."

Karek rolled his eyes and reached into the pouch at his belt.

"Here." He flicked his brother a dark metal coin. "Have fun. Spend it on what you want. I'll have plenty more tomorrow."

"You hope."

"I know," Karek said, and grinned.

* * * * *

When Tahlia entered her mother's chambers, she appeared to be in a better mood than she had been for some time. Not happy as such, but she did seem to possess a renewed focus of a sort that Tahlia had not seen in her for quite a while. Her maid was busy laying dresses out on the bed, while Kralmir's nursemaid hurried back and forth between the bed and the heavy jewellery chest, selecting necklaces and earrings. She would hold each item against each dress, while her mother assessed the combinations critically. After half an hour of such activity, her mother tutted loudly and sent Tahlia in search of her seamstress for a reason she could in no way fathom.