Ch. 23

I feel better, but I think Paxton is dead. I chuckle and he moans, lifting his head sleepy eyed. "Are you okay there?"

He smirks, "Never been better." I laugh again. His head comes forward and he kisses me softly. "Was that naughty enough for you?"

"I think you could do better." I tease.

"Challenge excepted." He growls, carrying me up the stairs. When we get to the middle of the staircase both of our phones ring. That's strange. We look at each other confused and he puts me down. We walk back down the stairs to find our phones. I get to mine first and answer.

"Hello?" I ask, not recognizing the number.

"Hey, it's me. You're not going to believe this, but your mom is at my mom's house." Bryan states.

"What why would she be there?"

"She wanted to talk to my mom about the wedding. Apparently, Paxton's mom wasn't so lovely when she approached her, so she went to my mom."

"Oh, my God. I guess I can't really tell your mom to get rid of her, it's her house."

"Well that's why I'm calling. My mom wants you both to come for dinner again....with your mother and father."

You've got to be kidding me. I look at Paxton who's talking to his dad I think. He shakes his head at me. I shrug my shoulders, at a loss.

"I don't know what to do." I state, thinking out loud.

"I think you should come and get it over with. Tell her that you're going to Vegas and not getting married here." He suggests.

I groan, " I think you're on to something. Except I think my father would disown me."

"So, what's it going to be buttercup? You coming?"

I look back at Paxton who's just ending the call. "What do you want to do, Paxton?" I ask.

"We have to deal with her sooner or later babe, let's just get it over with."

"Well, I guess will see you soon then." I reply to Bryan.

"Alright, see you soon."

I hang up and pick up my dress sliding out back on. Paxton does the same. After we both are dressed we head to his car. I can tell he is as unhappy as I am.

When we're close to his dad's house I break the silence. "It won't be that bad, Paxton. I'm sure we can make it through one meal."

"I'm just mad she went behind your back, she's acting like it's her wedding and she's ruining it for you." He says, frustrated.

"Maybe Bryan's right, we should just fly to Vegas." I reply, just as irritated.

"That was Bryan on the phone? He called you to tell you your mom was at my dad's?"

"Yeah..." I say, not getting the big deal. "Who did you think it was?"

"One of your brothers." He answes, grimly.

"Paxton. Stop making a mountain out of a mole hill. It's not like that I promise."

"I don't want to argue about it. I guess will see in time."

We pull into the circular driveway, I spot my mothers car and wonder if cousin Britney is with them. I hope not. We park and we simultaneously take a deep breath, making us laugh. When we're close to the front door Paxton takes my hand in his and kisses my knuckles. Knocking, we wait for someone to open the door. I find it amusing he knocks on his parents door, but keep it to myself.

Bryan opens the door immediately, "Finally, lets get this torture over with. I want to strangle your mother." He says, to me without ceremony and I giggle.

"I won't mind. I'll even help you bury the body." I reply.

We laugh and Paxton pulls me in the house and to the living room. Everyone is seated and talking about this and that. They stop when we enter. I don't spare my mom a glance, but I look at my dad. He looks relaxed, but I can tell he's on edge about something.

"Welcome, come sit down you two." Preston greets, waving us into the room.

We walk to two of the three chairs that are from the dinning room table and sit. I go to sit in the middle but Paxton pulls me to his left and I sit down. Paxton takes the middle seat and Bryan is on his right. I mentally roll my eyes, he didn't want me to sit by Bryan. At least he made it look subtle.

"Your mother came to talk about the wedding plans. She didn't know you went to pick out your cake today." Helen comments.

"Yeah, we decided on red velvet." I mummer.

"Oh, Adelaide not everyone likes red velvet cake. I wish you would have consulted me." Ma says, disgruntled.

"It doesn't matter what other people want, its what the bride wants." Paxton disagrees.

"Yeah, isn't it Addie's wedding?" Bryan asks.

"Of course it is, but she needs to consider others." Ma replies.

"No, I think she only has to think about herself and what she wants." Bryan disagrees.

"Bryan." Helen warns.

"If they don't like the cake, then they don't have to eat it." I argue, simply.

"I'd like to be there for the caterer appointment and tasting. I can help pick what to serve the guests, I know what people like." Ma comments, proudly.

"We'll be picking everything for the wedding ourselves. We told you Mrs. Pickett, we want to plan everything together, just the two of us." Paxton emphasises the word two and I grin.

Ma huffs, "Trust me Adelaide doesn't know anything about planning a wedding, she needs me."

"I hired a wedding planner. All we have to do is select what we like and our wedding planner, Isabel will make sure it gets done. The only thing that I need from you is a guest list." Paxton, replies calmly.

"I met with Isabel, I don't think she has a handle on what Adelaide wants. I can do a better job, I mean she let her pick red velvet cake for gosh sake."

"She didn't let me, she wasn't there. Get over the cake mother we're not changing it." I glare.

"I give up. I'm only trying to help." She says, begrudgingly.

"Good. Now that that's settled. I'm starving, what's for dinner dad." Paxton asks.

"Streak, potatoes and peas." Preston answers, getting up.

Dinner started okay, no one fought or talked about the wedding. I was relieved. Then my dad spoke for the first time to me. "Adelaide, you'll be moving back home until wedding." It was a command, not to be argued with.

"No, she's staying with me." Paxton states, with just as much finality.

My dad looks to him. "If she's not married to you. She will not be living with you."

"It's not up to you." Paxton replies.

I don't know what to do, I can't go against my father. I knew he wouldn't like this to begin with. It kills me that he hasn't spoken to me all night.

"I guess-" I start, but Paxton interrupts.

"If you say yes to moving back to your dad's, we're going to Vegas tonight." He warns. I look to him and he is dead serious.

"Paxton..." I beg. But he shakes he's his head.

"Decide, Adelaide." He demands, firmly.