Ch. 11

I don't see the tractor anywhere, when I pull up to the house. I'm sure Trevor got rid of it. When I start walking to the barn I hear arguing. Trevor must be pissed about something, which is nothing new.

"We need it."

"We don't need anything from that asshole." Trevor refutes.

"It was a gift. If Pa wants to keep it he should." I interrupt.

"You were on my side earlier." Trevor turns towards me, confused.

"Yeah, then I talked to Paxton." Looking to Pa I say, "It's his apology for this morning."

"Figured as much, sweetheart. He left a note."

Of course he did. I don't know how I feel about Paxton. I didn't expect to like him. I mean who makes someone marry them? Only a jerk... an arrogant jerk. I'm getting to know him and for some reason we get along really well. Even now he makes me smile. This is crazy, sure he's an okay guy, but I don't like arrogant jerks...Do I? I'm just making the best out of the situation. That's all. I don't really like him.

"ADELAIDE!"

"Huh, what?"

"I've been trying to talk to you for five minutes what's up with you?" Trevor's irritated voice brings me out of my thoughts.

"Sorry, I was thinking. What do you want?"

"Forget it." He huffs and walks away.

"What's his problem?" I ask, Brent.

"He's mad. Pa won't explain why the tractor was an apology. Or what this morning had to do with it. He asked you and you were miles away." He says, with a teasing grin. I blush and look away.

"Did everyone eat?" I ask, searching for something off the topic we're currently on.

"Yeah, just fend for yourself."

"Okay." I leave and walk into the house.

I start making a sandwich and thoughts of Paxton plague me again. I can't imagine him being afraid of being rejected. I'll admit it's very cute. Why couldn't he just ask to date me? That's my problem with liking him, I don't want to like him because he's making me become Mrs. West. That's not something you do if you really care about the person's feelings.

I have to keep my head with Paxton. I don't want him to control every part of our relationship and so far he does. I'm putting a stop to that as soon as possible. I'm not going to sleep with him until we say 'I do'. With our wedding still needing to be planned, it will be in a couple of months. I can do it. I can resist him.

***************

    I can't resist him! He's been here ten minutes and all I can think about is getting him alone. He keeps looking at me with that look in his eyes. The longing and wanting makes my knees weak. He lightly touches me every chance he gets and I feel my resolve from earlier crumble.

I don't like him. I just want him. That's it, it's just sex. Great sex. I'm sure I could get that anywhere. But no, I'm stuck with Paxton West my future husband because he's given me no choice. Spine is back to steel....I will not sleep with him.

Paxton must feel the coolness of my attitude. "What's wrong?" he whispers, while Pa and Trevor are in a heated debate about moving the cattle.

I shug, "Nothing."

His eyes narrow. "Tell me."

"Back to orders Mr. West? It's not in the contract that I have to talk to you." I reply...actually I don't know what's in the contract I didn't read it.