Fall

Chapter – Fall

                The next day at lunch I was scribbling down the lyrics for a new song. I think I should tell Sara how I felt. I mean it won’t be of any harm, as she had received millions of proposals. There was this adrenal rush to confess and clear my head.

                I sat across Bruno and Alexandra who were whispering and blushing. Now, I would not want to know what they were talking about. Since few weeks they have been an item in the school. All the time they walked around holding hands, blushing and all other sorts of PDA. Getting weird out I passed snide comments to which they finally tore apart from each other. At the same moment Ron threw his tray on the table.

                He ignored the remarks by Alexandra and glared at me. With the look in his eye I am imagining that he is slicing my head open in his mind. My mouth gapped wide, I was trying to understand what would happen.

Breaking the silence I asked, “Dude, what’s up-“

 He cut me off, “You know that I like her! Then why were you dancing with her last night?” His tone almost deafened me. I looked around and there was stand-still in the entire canteen.

                In disbelief I looked at him. He seriously likes her that much? Or maybe he has fallen for her. Then all sorts of comparison ran in my head. He made her laugh. He can make decent conversation. He is good looking. Of course He was far better than I was. I guess Sara would also think that. Swallowing the lump in my throat I whispered, “Sara is my best friend. And you danced with her too. You are making a fuss out of nothing. Calm down man!”

                My chest was getting tighter I got up and started walking out, when I heard Ron scream “I want you to stay away from her!”

                I rushed to the bathroom, hoping to not bump into anyone, especially her. Suddenly tears started pouring out on my face. I removed my thick glasses and wiped it standing in the toilet. I wondered why I was crying. She never was mine. Then why did I assume that there would be any sort of possibility. After washing away the tears I reminded myself what Ron demanded.

                I loitered back to the canteen picked up my notebook and my cranberry juice and walked away saying ‘I’m Fine’ to Bruno. Sara was not at the table and Ron was still giving me death glares. I strolled to the parking lot, where I had pulled Sara once. There were seniors puffing smoke. I wished to be out of their way so that they don’t pick up on me.

                I sat in a corner and flipped open the song I was writing. I started to sing, music always helps me be calm. It was my way of relaxation. I wrote down few more lines and when the bell went off I rushed to attend my English class, which ironically is with Sara. I was nervous to face her. Yes, I should back off as Ron has strong feelings for her and so I planned to not make little conversations with her in the class.

                To my luck, she slept through the entire lecture. When the final bell rung I rushed to my home. I cannot face Ron again. He was my friend and it’s a friend’s job to make the other get the girl of his dreams. Well that’s an overstatement.

                I skipped talking and meeting Sara for almost the entire week. I made up to Ron by suggesting Sara to invite him over to open up her presents. I made up terrible excuses. Just like yesterday I told her that I had to shower Billy Ruskin. She wasn’t buying it. I saw the frown and disbelief in her eyes. I guess she got the hint that I was drifting away from her.

                It was getting pretty cold. I was in my old sweater in the backyard, still singing the song I had written in the canteen that day. My nose was the colour of my hair now. I got up to go in when I saw Sara walking towards me. She was in a pretty leather coat and a beanie cap. I repeated Ron’s demand in my head again and again. I got frustrated! Hell man, she is my best friend too!

Before she could come to a halt in front of me and say anything I helplessly and breathlessly said, “Sara I am so sorry I’ve been avoiding you for days, but I did not intend to hurt Ron. He likes you a lot! And he wanted your attention.”

                With a hurt look in her eyes she whispered real soft, “That moron is getting on my nerves. Get rid of him else I will roast your cat and feed it to the chick Rob brought!”

                I laughed and rolled my eyes. She will never change.

                With an annoyed and chirping voice she said, “It’s your mess! You clean it up! And if that idiot sends any more roses to me, I swear I will lay them on his grave!”

                She snorted and I laughed and gave her an apology hug. We hugged for a couple of minutes. Her breath was making me feel warmer than the heater.  We got lost into the little hug of ours. Everything seemed so perfect right now. I want to freeze this moment and at that very thought it started snowing. She broke the hug and looked around in a glee. It was the first snow of the year.

                 She spread her arms wide and started taking in the ambience. I stood there looking at the most magnificent sight ever. She was swirling around snowflakes as she was one of them. She was beautiful, more than words could ever describe. That warming smile of hers, those sapphire eyes that screamed her emotions more than she would ever speak her long blonde hair that fall perfectly and her pale-white skin, which made all the heads turn.

                She was so different from all the other girls. She did not care about her looks, not that she needed to, she did not try to impress anybody and most importantly did get forced to turn bitchy by the peer pressure.

                It was getting too cold so we walked to her mansion to get a cup of warm tea made with love by Ferry. Every time I thought of Ferry I always tend to wonder why she was named after a boat. Giggling to myself I got all comfortable on the couch in her room.

                Out of the blue she said, “So that new song you were singing in the parking lot everyday… I kind of tried to sing that. I sounded horrible according to Robert, but do you mind playing that?”

                Her puppy face felted me more than the tea did. I replied ‘sure stalker’ and strummed the guitar, which was with me since the ball.

You and I

Two of a mind

This love’s

One of a kind

You and I

We’re drifting

Over the edge

And I will fall for you

If I fall for you

Would you fall too?

You and I

Learning to speak

With kisses on cheeks

You and I

We’re lifted

Over the edge

And I will fall for you

If I fall for you

Would you fall too?

And I will fall for you

And if I fall for you

Would you fall too?

Would you fall too?

Would you fall too?

Would you fall too?

Would you fall too?

                She sang only the chorus, almost inaudibly but I could swear that it did not sound horrible at all! Man she excelled in everything! Except being smart enough to understand that I like her and the song I wrote was for her.