Sara

Chapter - Sara

The rest of the day I completed my school assignments. At the dinner table I told my parents about Sara’s ball. My parents seemed more excited than I was, after-all it was the first ball I will be going to.  After dinner my mother pulled out an old suit from a dusty wardrobe. It was the same suit Matthew had worn a couple of years back on an aunt’s wedding. I did not mind as long as it was not too worn out.

After that my mother tried to give me quick points on etiquettes to be followed in such balls. I was messing up every bit of it. I don’t remember being this clumsy ever. Mom wanted me to act like I was one of them. The royalties. Well after 30 minutes of perfectness being taught to me I ran to room. I was too clumsy to act like them, I thought to myself.

Matt was asleep already and Ruskin was on my bed. I locked the bedroom door, jumped out of the window, walked to her mansion, crept up the rope and saw her covered in pillows and layers of mattresses.

I whispered with delight, “Hey! Sara I’m here.”

She growled, “Ed? Argh! I hate you mutt! My head hurts so bloody bad!”

I said in a sarcastic tone, “That’s just your brain trying to comprehend its own stupidity!”

She flung a pillow at me and groaned, “Shut up!”

I chuckled and asked, “No! Seriously why did you drink the whole pack of cider?”

She replied with a whimper, “I don’t know. Ferry came to know, but I literally begged her not to tell anyone.”

Ferry reminded me of the sock. I laughed and said, “You were so drunk damsel!”

She shot back with an irritated voice, “Don’t call me damsel! And why on earth was I on the hammock?”

I laughed and jumped on the sofa. I said, “Princess you were already drunk on the hammock when I came. I tried warning you about Ferry, but you said that you gave her a SOCK, so she can be free. Just like Harry Potter and Dobby.”

She snorted and said, “Dude firstly you got to be kidding me! Why in the world would I ever give a sock to Ferry? And stop giving me dumb nicknames. I have a short name already so shut up.”

I smiled and said, “Whatever blondie!” I grabbed the guitar,” Hey, I’m umm... kind of borrowing this for a while.”

She sank deeper in her comfy bed and mumbled “sure”

I strapped it to my back and headed back home. Since Ferry was on Sara’s side now, I don’t think she would say anything about the rope now.

Next two days I practised the song over and over again. In the lunch time when Sara had not come due to preparations and shopping, I sang the song in front of Alexandra, Bruno and Ron, when they insisted.

After I was done, Ron looked at me with jealousy. He had a huge crush on Sara. Every time she was around, he could not get his eyes off her. Alexandra, who was Bruno’s love and Sara’s only female-friend, jumped in thrilled awe. I could say she really loved it.

Bruno with a chilled expression said, “Dude that was great.”

Ron gave an envious and angry look and said, “Yes it was good.”

They then told me what present they had got her. Alexandra was giving her a charm bracelet, Bruno was giving her chocolates and Ron was giving her some expensive perfume from Paris. As Ron was pretty rich, it was no big deal for him.

On her birthday eve, I finished my dinner as quickly as possible. Took a shower and practised the song one more time before going to her mansion. This was the first time I used the front door to leave. My mother did not mind as it was her birthday, but she asked me to be back soon. I could say that she will be waiting on the porch till I returned.