Chapter - Drinking game

Chapter - Drinking Game

“I want to get drunk before I turn 15”, she said with a glee and twinkling eyes.

I gave her the weirdest look possible. You kidding me, I thought to myself.

She interrupted my thoughts by her excited voice, “I’m going to steal a couple of bottles from the mini bar, nobody will notice as father will be going out of town with mother and you meet me at midnight.”

Well, she seemed pretty excited so I won’t rain on her parade by telling her that I had drunk my father’s 6 beer bottles once.

I smirked and said,“You cannot beat me. I can drink much more than you I bet!”

She raised her eyebrows and with a challenging expression she said, “Really? Let’s see that tonight then ginger.”

I smiled and nodded with a half-smirked expression. She then punched my chest and headed to her Rolls Royce with a driver opening the door. It was her way of showing affection and excitement. Instead of hugging like every other girl, she acted rough. I didn’t mind, well maybe I don’t have a mind anymore. It was strange but suddenly every time she is not with me; it makes me longing for her appearance. I couldn’t concentrate on anything anymore. All I was thinking these days was her. When I’m by her side everything seems so easy. The bullies, financial crises, grades and my appearance; all lose significance immediately. I feel like I had transformed to another world whenever I catch a glimpse of the sapphire-eyed beauty.

Snapping back to reality, I realised I was still in the parking lot of the school. I looked around and saw nobody.

“Shit”, I muttered and ran to my home with her thoughts rushing behind me.

After dinner, when I was in my room persuading matt to cover me for the night, I heard my dad talking in a stern tone. I got closer to the door and started eavesdropping as Matt started to look at me with a confused expression on his face. All I heard were stern and worried voices of my parents.

“Imogen, we can’t afford a vacation to London. Why don’t you understand?”

“John you had promised Edward and Matthew. You work day and night in that art consultancy, lecture students and as an art curator. Why can’t we afford the basic needs of our children?”

“Imogen, please give me some time. I swear things will get better in a couple of months.”

“I can’t believe you John. You can’t break your promise to them. This will be the 3rd time you want us to stay back in the Winter break.”

“Trust me pleas-“

“Tell that to our children.”

After that the voices became faint and faded. This was the first time I was hearing my parents argue. I was pretty upset because of not being able to visit London. I looked at Matt, who was giving me a frosty look.

“That happens once in a while you know,” he paused,” Oh wait! How would you know that since Sara is the only family to you?”

I opened my mouth trying to say something to defend but I was speechless.

Matt gave an annoyed look and said “Don’t even try to say anything. Why are you even friends with that snob? If she finds out that we are as poor as her servants she will throw you out of her life in a matter of seconds. How many times do I have to tell you that Ed?”

He looked worried about me, but I know that he was wrong. Sara pretty much knows that I am not first-class rich. Without saying anything I opened my window and hopped out.

I was constantly thinking what Matt just said. Would Sara do that? I don’t really think so. I walked real slowly. I pushed my body across the hedges and saw a cream night slippers below the rope. It definitely was Sara’s, but why was it on the ground?

My thoughts were interrupted by her sleepy voice coming from the backyard. I followed the sound and found her swinging in the hammock. I was astonished and jogged towards her to make her stop before Ferry woke up.

As I got closer I saw her holding a can of Strongbow and realised that she was singing ‘The Power of Goodbye’ by Madonna. Damn, she is really drunk!

I stood in front of her with amazement. I said, “You gotta be kidding me!”

She looked up with the drowsiness in her eyes and with astonishment she said,” Oh Eddie! You are finally here! Look I had 2 cans already! I am winning.” She giggled.

I looked behind the hammock and saw about 6 empty cans. My eyes popped out in disbelief. She said a couple, I recalled.

Stunned, I whispered,” Sara, those are about 7 cans. You will have a hangover now! And what on earth are you doing in the backyard? What if Ferry wakes up and saw you with alcohol?”

She smiled and said, “I gave her a sock. She is now free!”

Shocked I asked her, “You gave her a sock?”

She smiled with pride and said, “Yes! Just like Harry Potter gave Dobby!”

I did not know whether I should laugh my ass off or knock some sobriety in her right now.

Amused I said,” That is just a fictional book Sara!”

Under the influence of alcohol she spoke with slurred language. And all she said was,” Is it? Does that mean I still win the alcohol game?” Then she passed out.

I was hysterically puzzled. What do I do now? She will be grounded if Ferry notes this to her mother. I thought of an idea and ran in the direction of the rope. I crept up and grabbed a plastic bag from her closet. I picked up a perfume from the grand dresser and descended the rope carefully.

She was lying in the hammock with her mouth open wide. I snorted at her in amusement. First I took the cider cans and started stuffing it in the bag. She was still holding a can in her hand. I tried to steal it from my hands but then she screamed,”No! Shrek I do not want to be an ogre!”

I fell on the grass out of breath, laughing hard. That was the most comical thing she had ever said in her sleep. After a couple of minutes when I regained my senses, I picked up the can that had fallen from her hands. Still giggling I took the perfume and sprayed over her to cover up the alcoholic smell. I put the perfume in my pocket, picked up the bag and headed back to my home.

It will be fun telling her this, I thought with a smile that made my cheeks hurt. She will definitely have a hang-over; I better go in the evening. I was glad it was a weekend; else she would have to attend school with a severe headache.

I threw the bag in a trash can nearby and leaped in my room. I saw Matt with a bored-out and sleepy face. In his husky voice he asked, “Back already? Did the blonde kick you out?”

I chuckled and said, “Don’t be an ass bro.” I flipped on my not-so-comfy bed and slept with an excitement. I will write the song on this episode for sure. Her birthday was 3 days away now and she had invited me, Bruno, Ron and Alexandra.

Next day I started writing the lyrics I have been thinking. When I was done I saw the sun setting in. I pecked on my mum’s cheek and walked to her place. I saw her father’s Rolls Royce parked. Her parents have always given me a cold shoulder so I always wanted to avoid them as much as possible. It was not the right time to meet her I thought and went back home with disappointment.