Chapter 7

‘My lord if you just give me a minute, I can explain,’ Sybrina continued to step backwards.

‘I’ll give you all the time you want Sybrina or Artemis or whatever your name is,’ his furious eyes glared at her.

Oh dear God .  Where to start?

‘I’m listening,’ he came up to her, his fingers sliding down her cheek, caressing her throat.

She didn’t want to but she angled her neck and shut her eyes, so she could savour his delightful touch.

‘You were going to tell me who you are,’ he murmured.

Her eyes flew opened, she summoned strength.  Was he thinking, as Artemis, she was just a flirt?  Did he think she wanted an affair with him?  The answer was no, but she needed to convince him of that.

‘My name is Sybrina,’ she whispered.  I invented “Artemis”.

He looked at her doubtfully, his eyes narrowed, as if challenging her to continue.  Nervously she licked her lip and started again.

The landlord__Mr. Spade said he’d waive the arrear rent if __ if I accompanied him to that masked ball.

The Earl glared at her insultingly, as if she’d prostituted herself.

‘I had to do it,’ Sybrina spoke quickly. ‘Mother Agnes was terrified he’d throw us out.  Mr. Spade wants__wanted to convert this property into an Inn.  He said he could generate more revenue that way. So to save the orphanage I acceded to his request.  He is not a gentleman, or a respectable man, I did not want to be recognized as his partner, which is why I needed to leave before __before midnight.

So she did not do it to attract attention.  She went to the ball to save this orphanage. God’s teeth, what else would she do for the sake of benevolence?  It’s a damn good thing I bought this property when I did. What if that foul rogue made her pay in other ways?  He would not think of that.

‘I am so relieved Sybrina and Artemis are one,’ he groaned, taking her into his arms.  ‘You have been driving me crazy.  You and Artemis.  His mouth plundered hers, pulling her roughly to him. His lips were not gentle, or patient.  They possessed her aggressively.  It should have frightened her , but it excited her.  Her hands flew up around his neck.  Off their own accord, her fingers trailed into his hair.  She heard him whisper her name, pleading for her to surrender to him.

‘Alexander,’ she cried out, pressing into him.

Abruptly he pushed her away, ‘I told you at the ball I was Alexander, Earl of Cavendish.  Why did you not confide in me?’ he demanded

Sybrina sucked in her breath, she was so confused.  A minute ago he was kissing her, whispering sweet words to her now he just pushed her away.  She knew he’d asked a question, she just had to figure out what, and instruct her brain to respond accordingly.

‘My lord the ball __ was hardly the place to bring up the orphanage’s financial woes.  Had I know the extent of your generosity__’

‘What would you have done?  Would Artemis have strung me along a little longer hoping I’d make you an offer? 

‘No__’ Sybrina vehemently denied. 

Doesn’t he realize, I do not want a marriage

‘Perhaps, the Title of Countess holds some appeal for you madam!  Not to mention all the wealth that comes with it.’

‘I am not after your title,’ she yelled, her eyes brimmed with tears.  ‘I do not need your wealth my lord and I do not desire to be married,’ she swiped her wrist across her eyes.  ‘I do not want you as a husband__’