Chapter 16

Sybrina found a firm friend in Cook, so much so that every morning she prepared tasty treats for Sybrina’s breakfast.  She fussed over Sybrina like a mother hen.  She was even taking Sybrina tea and pastries in the afternoons, if Sybrina decided to spend some time of relaxation in Alexander's library. 

The butler on the other hand remained reserved, but Sybrina was now enjoying his unreserved subordination, thanks to her husband’s intervention.  It irked Sybrina that the butler would be so cold distant and disrespectful, when she had given him no cause to be so prejudiced against her.  Well as long has the Earl continued to give her his support, she would not waste any energy on the butler.

Sybrina received a requested from the dowager to have tea the one afternoon and wondered curiously what the agenda was.  They lived in the same house, but Sybrina kept herself busy, ensuring she did not have time for idle chats with the dowager.

‘Countess, thank you for joining me,’ the dowager summoned a smile.

Sybrina nodded her head, not wanting to lie to her and tell her it was a pleasure to take tea with her.

‘Lovely day isn’t it?’ the dowager offered an unrequired weather report.

Sybrina looked out the window, acknowledging the warm effects of the dripping sun and again nodded at the dowager as she sipped on her tea.

‘I was wondering if you’re with child.’

Sybrina choked on her tea and coughed ceaselessly, even her eyes began to water.

Impossible, since the marriage has not yet been consummated!

‘We have hardly been married six months,’ Sybrina spoke through choking breaths.

‘Well I am sure my Alexander is keen to have his heir sooner rather than later, and I would like to see my grandchild before I’m buried in my grave.’

‘Dowager Countess, when I am good and ready it shall happen.  My husband has not informed me that he is in any haste for an heir.’

‘He is too much of a gentleman that is Alexander’s problem,’ she whined.  ‘I dare say that is why you take advantage of his good nature.’

‘I have tried to be patient with you Dowager Countess.  I will take instructions from my husband, but not you.  Now, I would like you to mind your own business.  Please stay out of marriage.  Good afternoon.’ Sybrina stormed out of the sun parlour.

‘What are you doing Countess?’ Spencer enquired.

We are planting beans.  They are very nutritious and delicious too.’

‘Yak!  Vegetables are not tasty.’

‘They are,’ Sybrina laughed, ‘and they help you grow too.’

‘Big like the earl?’

‘And dashing like me too,’ Alexander picked up little Spencer and lifted him above his head.

Yes you are dashing.  And you are so good to Spencer. 

‘My lord what are you doing home so early?’

Alexander smiled and placed his arm around her waist, ‘I want to take you riding.’

‘But it is afternoon.’

‘When the sun is setting it is beautiful too.  Come with me,’ he urged.

Sybrina gazed into his eyes, unable to tear herself away, ‘let me get my hat,’ she murmured.

‘Spencer,  tomorrow we will pluck the apricots.  They are ready for making jam,’ Sybrina spoke over her shoulder.

‘Yes countess,’ he agreed.