Chapter 12

As her eyelids drew open Sybrina was momentarily dazed by the unfamiliar surroundings. She sprung up and searched around the room and found she was alone, all alone. The other side of the huge bed was unused. She strained her ear to listen for noises through the interconnecting door. Silence.

The sun was up. Sybrina could tell it was later than six, the time she normally arose. She could hardly remember what time she'd finally dozed off, for she'd been lying awake till the wee hours. She was loathe to get up and face Alexander this morning, not after the way, he'd angrily stormed out.

The door opened, Sybrina quickly dived under the sheets, pulling the covers up to her neck, even though she was fully clothed .

'Good morning, Countess,' Harriet beamed, 'I've brought you some hot chocolate my lady.'

'Thank you Harriet,' Sybrina looked anywhere but at Harriet.

'You don't have to clutch the sheets so my lady,' Harriet blushed, 'I understand the ways between a man and a women.'

Oh dear! She thinks I'm naked under the sheets. She thinks Alexander and I __

'Where is Lord Cavendish?' Sybrina asked.

'Missing him already?' Harriet grinned happily. 'Should I inform the Earl that you require him?'

'No! I mean it is okay.'

'Shall I bring up your breakfast Countess?'

'Harriet!'

'Yes my lady?'

'Don't call me "Countess."

'But when we go to the Cavendish Estate, everybody will be addressing you that way.'

Sybrina cringed, annoyed at the use of that title. It had never bothered her previously, but now when she heard the word countess, she expected the dowager to spring up behind her.

'Fine,' I will meet everybody downstairs in twenty minutes Harriet.'

Sybrina wondered what kind of mood her new husband would be in, as she dipped the wash cloth into the basin and soaped her face. Would he ignore her and give her the cold shoulder? She ran the cloth over her neck, behind her ears. She cleaned her teeth, then brushed her hair down and tied it with a ribbon. She was just about to exit the room, when the door opened and in walked her husband.

He does not even have the damn courtesy to knock. Thank heavens I'm fully clothed.

Alexander turned his head to study his wife. She was dressed in a beautiful long carriage dress, pale, like the colour of lemons. It looked beautiful on her slender figure. His fingers itched to remove the ribbon from her hair, and allow those velvet strands to cascade over her shoulders. An irrepressible urge rose in him to wrap her in his arms. He shoved his hands behind him.

'My lady good morning,' he smiled courteously. 'Did you sleep well.'

No. I stayed up half the night. It was all your fault!

'Er__good morning. Yes I slept well,' she lied, avoiding his eyes.

He took two steps and closed the distance between them. He was looking into her face, but Sybrina refused to look up and fidgeted with her fingers nervously.

'My lady,' he murmured.

'Yes,' she whispered.

'Everybody expects that you and I have indulged in a pleasurable night together.'

Sybrina's face turned crimson just at the thought of Alexander and her lying naked in the same bed.

'I have come to escort my wife downstairs, as will be expected if we've shared a passionate night together,' he extended his arm to her.