Chapter Four

SONG FOR THIS CHAPTER: Don't You Go by All Time Low

---------------------

I took two deep breaths before opening the door.

"Hi." I grinned as I looked up. My breathing stopped for a second and shock jolted through me. "Stella? What are you doing here?" I said as I came face to face with my usually smiley best friend. Honestly, she looked a mess. She was wearing a pair of thin leggings and her shirt was ripped in several places. Tears were running fast down her red cheeks and I could see a mark forming on her left cheek which looked suspiciously like a bruise. Her nose was bloody and there was several scratches across her face. "What happened?" I gasped, pulling her into my apartment. All thoughts of meeting Alex now vanished from my head. My best friend was hurt.

"Mark." She choked, clutching her bloody nose. I rushed into my kitchen, grabbing some ice, tissues and some antiseptic wipes.

"Your ex?" I questioned as I walked her to my couch and sat her down. I began cleaning up the cuts on her forehead. She winced a couple of times before settling.

"He came back to get some of his stuff and we got in an argument and then..." She trailed off. I sighed and let her hold the ice to the bruise forming on her cheek. We cleaned up her nose and I was in the process of finding her some clothes when someone knocked on the door.

"I'll get it!" Stella sighed. I heard her stand up and panicked.

"No Stella! I uh, I'm not sure what will fit you. Can you get yourself some clothes whilst I sort out who's at the door?" I said, standing in the doorway to my room. She nodded and I sighed in relief as she passed me, allowing me to answer the door. I opened it quickly and stepped outside. Slowly, I looked up and butterflies swarmed like bees in my stomach. My green eyes made contact with the familiar warm brown ones and a smile broke onto my face.

"Hey." Alex smiled. It was a slightly cocky smile which sent my heart into a frenzy and jumbled my thoughts. He was wearing a pair of black skinny jeans and a plain white shirt. He had a plaid shirt tied around his waist and a pair of black converse on his feet.

"Hi." I replied, the smile on my face growing wider as Alex looked me up and down.

"Are you ready to go?" He asked, his eyebrows knitting together when he noticed I still had my hand on the door handle. I wanted to say that I was ready and leave with him straight away but I had to help Stella.

"Can you give me like ten minutes? My friend just turned up because she was attacked by her ex-"

"Attacked?" Alex cut me off, concern all over his face. "Is she okay?"

"She's fine. I just need to clean her up and then we can go." I explained.

"Can I help?" He offered, reaching towards the door handle.

"No!" I replied too quickly. Alex frowned and I internally slapped myself in the face. "Look, it's the same girl I was at the meet and greet with yesterday. If she knew she was keeping me from seeing you or anyone else she'd feel bad and beat herself up about it." I said softly. Alex raised one eyebrow and smirked.

"And you don't want her knowing that we're seeing each other." He replied. I shrugged and sighed.

"I didn't tell her I was seeing you and I didn't tell her about what happened yesterday either." I admitted. He chuckled before squeezing my shoulder.

"Don't worry, I'll wait in my car, just send me a message when you're on your way out." He smiled, before winking at me and disappearing down the corridor. I breathed out and smoothed out my clothes before opening my door and walking back in to help Stella who was sat on my bed wearing a pair of my sweatpants and my Slipknot hoodie. The bruising on her cheek had gone down a lot and there was no trace of the blood that had been running from her bruised nose.