Chapter 17!

“So, Mr D. Henderik has signed this application.”

“Yeah, he’s my dad,” I lied, smoothly. Derek was in fact my best friend. I had had no problem in getting him to sign the piece of paper that I had given him.

“Well, I guess there is nothing I can do about it,” the psychiatrist winked, with a twinkle in his grey eyes. He obviously didn’t think that the signature is real.

“It is his genuine sig-“

“Yes, yes, that is what they all say.” He answered, not letting me finish. I was starting to get annoyed at this guy. Who did he think that he was? “So, the last time we spoke, you said something about hurting people.”

“Yeah, I hurt people. I upset them, bruise them and I just can’t take it. I don’t know why. It’s like… like… a weird thing that I do when something I love comes close to me. “

“Explain.”

“There’s this girl who I lo-“

“Ah, the girl scenario.  I know this too well.”

I glared at him, before continuing. “There’s this girl who I like, and when I first saw her I went out of control. I asked her for her lunch money and called her a bitch. I had never meant to say that. The look that she gave me, tears in her eyes, and I couldn’t do anything to stop them coming down. All I could do was continue to put on this façade, where I was cruel and wretched.  But it’s only when we’re alone.  I’ve punched her, kicked her, and slapped her. I’ve done everything I could think of. I don’t know what happens. It’s like I mutate into a monster. I don’t want to harm anyone, especially not the ones that I love. I could start destroying other people, or even start killing them, and I would never be able to forgive myself if that happened.”  As I spoke, the psychiatrist nodded, wrote things down and generally looked interested. For the first time, I had told someone my deepest, darkest secret. Something that had been locked at the back of my mind, inside my heart since I had first set my eyes on Christina.

“Ah, that is something rather unusual.  I have never heard of this.” He flicked through some hardback books, which all seemed rather complex and difficult to read, before stopping at a certain page. “It seems to me that you have a *diphlexus of anger management.”

“A what?”

“A branched off version of anger management. It’s a new, side version, if you like, of anger management.” 

All I could do was look at him.

“Ah, time’s over. See you next week,” he finished, after the bell rang, signalling the end of the session.

“Bye.”

“Bye.”