Love Kills Slowly Chapter 12 :P

I tossed and turned, trying to get some sleep, but I couldn’t. My head was swimming; I had so many questions, worries, fears... thoughts.  What would happen? What was the time? Where was everyone? And more worryingly - what would Matt think of it all? How long would it take for my arm to mend? I didn’t want to have to wait forever before I can move my little finger. I wondered how it was possible to break your arm when you fall down the stairs. But then again, I’m way too clumsy to do anything properly...

After several hours, I saw daylight leak into the room – it was finally morning. Ever since arriving, I had lost all sense of time. I had a private room, making the stay at the hospital even more boring than it should be. It was like a large closet. A hell hole... a completely white prison. I felt out of place, with my scruffy red hair and over all messy appearance. Everything here was so in place, it was hard to imagine that it was even a hospital. It looked more like an unoccupied room that was forever cleaned.

After all eternity, my mum came in, holding a plate piled high with slices of toast. I stared at the food, and heard my belly rumble. I had never noticed how hungry I was until then. I instantly questioned how long I had gone without food, but I quickly dismissed the thought, as I was happy to see something edible (and it seemed pleased to see me too.)

 “Glad you’re up now, sweetie. I wasn’t able to visit you yesterday, due to regulations or something like that,” my mum said, as I devoured the toast.  When she finished the sentence, I froze.

“Hang on... Isn’t it Tuesday?” I asked, half – confused.

“Nope, It’s Wednesday,” she answered, “oh, and I found this by the stairs,” she added, giving me the object along with a half hearted smile. I put it in my pocket for later – I didn’t want to appear rude, and divert her attention, and returned the grin.

After about an hour of talking, the nurse came back and kicked my mum out so I decided to pull the thing out of my pocket. (It was hard, because I could only use my left hand.) but I didn’t have time to unravel it though, because there was another visitor, so I squeezed my hand together.

“Christy! Darlin’! I heard you have a broken arm! What happened?” Rae yelled as she unexpectedly ran in, dropping her school bag and sprinting to my bed, gaining disapproving looks from the nurse behind her, who had let her in.

“Yeah, I uh....”

“Fell down the stairs?” She guessed.

“HEY! I’m not that clumsy... although that’s what happened,” I protested. Sounds like I’m gaining a reputation as the kid with two left feet. But, being known as that was better than being ignored .I thought. 

Rae then noticed my clenched fist, and demanded to know what it was.

“It’s nothing,” I said hesitantly.

“Then let me see!” Rae pleaded, knowing that I wasn’t winning this war. Due to my soppy-ness I  gave in.

“Fine,” I grunted and pushed the object to her.

She examined it, and placed the two parts together.

“It’s a heart pendant... but it’s broken,” she exclaimed, before taking a closer look. “There’s writing on it... You’ll Be the Anchor That Keeps My Feet on the Ground [NOTE: This is a Mayday Parade song title. All credit goes to them, for making it up]” she read out, making me freeze.

“It’s broken?” I asked, my voice shaking. I hated to think what Matt would do to me when he discovers that I was no longer wearing the trinket. I felt that to him, the necklace was almost like a tag – a possessive tag. If I wore it, he had full authority over me, if I didn’t, something could go wrong. The necklace was Matt’s defence mechanism. It was a shield, protecting me from anything that could harm me, or steal me away from him. It reminded me of a dog collar... but one that the dog wanted to wear, because if it did, it unlocked a dog treat. It was the same principle – If I wore the locket, I could have his heart, if not, I would be lost for all eternity, in a maze, where the centre was unreachable.