Love Kills Slowly, Chapter 13 (:

MATT’S POV:

I watched my little brother walk to Christina’s hospital room.

“Sorry,” he said, sounding petrified.

What a wimp. Many people say that he looks like me. I have no idea why. I’ve got relatively long brown hair; Michael’s got short, spiked blonde hair. I’m tall, he’s short. He enjoys riding his bike and playing rugby, while I’d rather sit down and listen to music, or paint a picture. See? We’re the exact opposite of each other. Yet, we’re blood relatives. I watched Mike clench his fist behind the door, where only I could see it. That’s what he does when he’s scared – he shows me a curled hand. Poor lad.

As I came to the rescue, I heard Rae laugh. I gave a compressed chuckle. I’m a sucker when someone giggles – I tend to join in as well, even if it isn’t funny, and it tends to ruin the moment.

 “Who’s that?” Christina sounded. It was refreshing to hear her voice again. I had missed it... I always miss her. She seals the forever growing gap in side of me.  Jeepers, I sound like a pavement. I walked into the room, smiling. I was glad to be able to see everyone again. No awkwardness, no teachers, nothing. Just us three... and my brother.

 “That’s my little brother, Michael.  He wanted to come with me... to see you... like,” I mumbled, looking at my feet. I had nothing to say. Nilch. None. Everything I had thought I would say had been released. I couldn’t remember anything. My mind had gone blank, due to being over powered with the happiness that was circulating through me.

“It’s Mike, not Michael. Is this that Christabell girl? You said she was as pretty as a princess!” My brother exclaimed, looking at, in disappointment. I had spent ages talking to my questioning brother over the last few weeks, about Christina. There’s nothing I didn’t share. He was like my diary, storing up excess information.

“Err... It’s Christina,” I said, a little embarrassed that he spilt his contents here.

“And she is a princess,” Rae added. I smiled at her; she always helped me get through awkward situations... a bit like superman.

“Am I?” Christina asked, a bit uncertain.

“Yeah, you’re my princess,” I told her. I felt my face heat up, I don’t know what made me say that, but I had said it, and it felt good. I embraced my crimson face... a miracle.

“And mine!” Rae added, making me stare at her.

“You’re a princess too, Rae! And Matt’s a prince!” Christina giggled.  This was something I had missed, over the last two days. That sound that escaped from her mouth when she was happy.

“I better go, I mean, I’m not supposed to be sitting around talking, I should be off fighting a dragon,” Matt I said, sarcastically, making everyone laugh.

Rae went on about some sort of present, something that I had forgotten to get. Stupid me being filled to the brim with worry had forgotten to get Christina something. Well done, I said to myself.

“Oh! Yeah, about that...” Matt started.

“Look, it’s nothing to worry about, I don’t want anything. Besides you-“

“Found it!” Rae yelled in triumph, cutting Christina off, while she shoved a purple gift bag into her good hand. With a struggle, she opened the bag, and spotted the card.

“Christy, I know you’re avoiding opening the present, so, you’re going to have to open that first.” Rae scolded.

Christina gazed down at the wrapped gift in adoration. It seemed as if tears were about to come pouring out. Tears of happiness. When she neatly unwrapped the gift, her eyes had darted from one corner of the box, to another. Her hands were trembling and she was generally excited.

 “You didn’t have too...” Christina began, her eyes dwelling with tears.

“I know. I did it anyway.” Rae snapped. I smiled. That was so typical of Rae.

 “I know, it’s nothing much –“

“Shut up.” I Christina whispered, while looking at the gift, causing Rae to stare. “These are the coolest pair of socks I’ve ever seen. They have little multicoloured Zebras on them!” She continued, her facing going pink.

“You can open up the card now, weirdo,” Rae smiled.

After a while, Mike ran out of the room (apparently he was bored), and my parents came instead.

“Oh, so you’re the pretty face that Matt keeps talking about!” They cooed, causing us both to go rose-red. My parents are like that, they don’t know when to stop. I guess it means that they speak their thoughts. But, they don’t consider what kind of embarrassment they can cause. Don’t get me wrong – I love them to bits, but sometimes I wish they’d think more before they talked.

“We’re called Rose and Ryan,” they introduced themselves. “We know you’re name already. In fact we know quite a bit about you,” my dad added, laughing.

“So, are you Matt’s girlfriend?” My mum asked, out of curiosity.

“Yes,” I verified, but at the same time, Christina said no. She looked at me in shock, and in confusion. My heart sank. This could only mean one thing.

 “Don’t be silly, I love you Christina. Unless...” I trailed off. I couldn’t take it to say the rest.

“No, no, no, no, no! Don’t think that! I... I do love you, but...”  

“But?” I asked. Now I was the one confused.

“But I broke the necklace you gave me,” she sobbed. She dug out the two halves of the heart from her pocket and showed them to me.

“Blah! It’s only a necklace. Why would you think I’d hate you for it?”I asked, before gently hugging her.

We spent a few hours talking and soon it was dark. As I walked home alone (the rest of the family had decided to stay, and keep my aunt who was also there a bit of company) I began to wonder. What was it that made me lash out? Why do I do it? Can I stop it? What does Christina think?

I felt disgusted with myself. I hit her; beat her until she became fragile. She cried over a stupid necklace. She must think I’m a beast. But what can I do?

What can I do to stop myself?

NOTE:

It’s a day late, I’m sorry :’(

I keep shoving it aside. I’m super busy. The next chapter will be pretty short, but I’m currently devising a plan for the next story. It’s pretty sweet. (If I can say so myself. Hehe.)

So comment, Vote, Fan and add on yer library!