Fugitive - Chapter One

Before you start reading, you may wish to go and read 'Becoming Atlantian' first, if you have not already done so. You can find it on my profile. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy this story.

Fugitive - Chapter One

"They're gone."

Allowing the curtain of leaves to fall back into place, Aubrey backed away from the entrance to the cave. There was no source of light within the enclosed space, only a few weak rays making it through the foliage which acted like a door.

If she had been a normal human being, the red head would have seen nothing but darkness.

But she wasn't normal and she was no longer just human. Death had seen to that. She was Atlantian.

Her eyes, so adjusted to the darkness could make out the crags in the rock, the pebbles and stones on the floor and she could also make out every scales and ridge of the large black beast which was curled up on itself at the far end of the cave. With a rumbling groan it lifted its head, dark eyes glinting even in the darkness to glare at its companion.

"I'm sorry Jet. I panicked." Aubrey murmured, stepping closer so that she could run her hand over the smooth scaled hide of the dragon. "They were too close and you stick out too much in the skies."

Allowing her body to drop to the floor, the red head slipped down on to the ground and then shuffled backwards until her body was resting against the coiled tail.

"The next hiding space will be bigger. I promise."

The dragon huffed before dropping its head back down to rest upon the floor, the space too confining for her large body.

"I'm not lying." Aubrey protested with her voice little more than a whisper.

The policemen were long gone but it didn't stop her from exercising caution.

Jet huffed once more.

"I know," Aubrey said in response before dropping her gaze to her lap. "I promise we'll find somewhere else soon but you're going to have to stay here for a while. You're too large to hide in daylight and most humans are not accustomed to seeing a beast as magnificent as you. We're now hiding from a lot more people than just the Matriarch's dedicated followers."

Jet turned her large back head away and closed her eyes. Aubrey was pretty sure she was getting cold shoulder from the dragon. Shaking her head, her red hair whipping about her face, she allowed a sigh to escape her lips.

"I'll run reconnaissance. Find out when and where we are. The gateway could have dropped us anywhere so we need to know a little bit more so we can plan. Don't leave this cave until its night time to hunt." Tilting her head back, Aubrey glared at the craggy rock about her which kept drip, drip dripping. "We'll find help Jet. We'll find a way to save them both."