Chapter 32: Jasmine

Brae didn't need to go for help. He had only just reached Im when Rowan burst through the door with a crash. "What is going on—Your Majesty? What's happened? Are you okay?"

He was quickly followed in by Kit, Euphrasia, Lorelie and a number of other Brizan diplomats I didn't know the names of.

"Emmanuel," was all the Queen said.

Rowan understood. "Where is he now?" He was instantly poised, ready for action.

"Gone."

"He fell through the window," Brae offered, since the Queen didn't seem capable of saying more than that. "Then he vanished; we don't know where." Satisfied that Imogen was at least conscious, Brae moved back over to me.

"Find him, Rowan," Aurelia whispered and Rowan answered her with a quick nod, sweeping Euphrasia and Lorelie from the room along with a number of the diplomats.

"Imogen?" Kit asked tentatively, moving to her side. Imogen's eyes were open, but glazed, her breathing ragged. Devon moved away as Kit bent down beside her. "We should get her some medical attention," he said softly, before scooping her up gently into his arms.

"Take her to her room and call for Paige," Aurelia said, seeming to regain the power of speech as she watched Kit carry Imogen out of the room.

I turned away from them, back towards the window.

"I don't understand," I said, to no one in particular. "Where could he have gone? He should at least have been knocked out by the fall, if not—"

I stumbled, unable to say the word. I had pushed him out. It would have been my fault if he was.

But he wasn't. Instead, he was gone. This meant that he was somewhere, out there, intent on killing me. I shuddered and turned back into the room, reluctant to look at the debris of broken glass any more.

I also couldn't shake a feeling of overwhelming relief. If it hadn't been for the interruption of the others, it could have been me who was dead.

"How did you all find me?" I asked, now that I had the time to think about it.

"The lightning," Aurelia said softly. "I was outside. The sky was perfectly blue, but flashes of lightning kept striking the courtyard..." She gestured out of the broken window. "I realised that it must be you causing it. I had to check quite a few rooms before I found the right one though. I was worried I was going to be too late..." She broke off, her face looked pained.

Brae took my hand in his and squeezed it. "We saw the lightning too. It took us longer to find you though—we couldn't navigate ourselves quickly enough."

At that moment a flustered looking messenger rushed into the room.

"Your Majesty—a messenger from the Arcan Realm—we have been looking all over the castle for you!"

Behind him was another figure, far more familiar, although he was looking paler than normal: afraid.

"Brody?" Devon gasped, rushing over to him with a broad smile on her face. "What are you doing here? Did you sneak over again? Everything's fine—well, you just missed a bit of drama, but it was nothing..." She trailed off as she registered the look on his face. Brody hadn't come across for a social visit.

"Brae," he said tentatively, looking past Devon to him. Brae's face was blank. Emotionless. "It's your father. I'm sorry. He slipped into a coma last night. They don't... They don't think he has long left. The council convened and they have named you Prince Regent, since your father can no longer... I'm sorry. I've come to bring you home."

"Oh, Brae!" I wrapped my arms around him, holding him tight. "Oh, Brae," I whispered again into his shoulder as he collapsed against me. I could feel his body shaking. But he would not cry. Not here. Not now. Not after being named ruler of the Arcan Realm.

After a moment he loosened his grip on me and stood up straighter. "Queen Aurelia, I am afraid we cannot stay to process today's events. We will have to cut our visit short." His voice sounded strained; too formal.

"Of course, my condolences to you. I will let you see to the necessary arrangements immediately."

"Thank you. Cameron, Devon, will you come down to the boat with Brody and I?" The other two nodded their assent and Cameron clapped Brae on the shoulder and led him from the room. Devon and Brody followed behind, their heads pressed together as they spoke quietly.

I was now left alone with the Queen. My mother.

"Jasmine," she said softly. "I'm so very sorry. I had no idea what Emmanuel was planning to do. I knew that he was behaving... erratically and that he was angered by your presence. I never thought for a second that he would actually try to hurt you."

"It's okay. It's not your fault," I sighed. "I should have realised sooner that he was up to something. I've been so preoccupied with everything that's going on..."

"It's been a lot to take in."

"It has."

She frowned. "I wish we had more time."

Now it was my turn to apologise. "I'm sorry. Brae is going to need me back in the Arcan Realm."

"Of course. As much as I would love for you to stay, for the chance to finally get to know you and make up for all the time we have lost, you are needed back in the Arcan Realm. It is your home. Besides," she added looking concerned. "It's not safe for you here at the moment. Emmanuel is free and he will be plotting how best to continue his attack. You will be safer back in the Arcan Realm. He might have turned some of my people against you, against us. It's too dangerous for you to stay here."

I nodded; she was right. If I stayed with her I would be an easy target.

"I really would like to spend some time with you," she continued. "Once we have found Emmanuel, and Brae has got himself settled, I will come to the Arcan Realm to visit you. It will give me a chance to meet the people who have brought you up, and thank them for looking after you so well." She smiled, but her eyes were red; she was trying not to cry.

"That would be nice," I said. "I would really, really like to get to know you; to make up for lost time."

She nodded, but didn't say anything more.

"I should really go and help Brae," I added, suddenly unsure what to do. Noni, Caleb or Grace I would have hugged, but—even though she was my mother—it felt wrong to hug Queen Aurelia. She was so remote, so regal. I couldn't imagine myself doing it.

"Of course. I'll see you off from the quay."

I left her alone in the room and went to pack up my things and find Brae.

I was going home.

{Please vote/comment to let me know what you think. We're nearly at the end now...}